< Back to IRCAM Forum

OpenMusic and Orchidea

Hi,

We now have a present-day counterpart to Orchis on MaxMSP… Will there be a present-day counterpart to OM-Orchidée, as well? It would be great to also have an OpenMusic library to work directly with Orchidea’'s command line tools in OM’s environment.

Given the present health crisis, I’d just like to say that I hope everyone in this community is doing well and thriving. Stay safe.

All the best,
António

1 Like

Very nice idea. Meanwhile, one can use the bridges between OM and bach library to make OM and orchidea working together…

1 Like

Very bad idea.
OM-Orchidee has always been an awful idea since you cannot have micro interval playback of the audio buffers !!
You would have to use omsupervp to repitch every sound in your solutions, etc…
This thing has to be thrown away asap !

Yan Maresz

Hi Yan,

I don’t agree, I think it would be great to have an OpenMusic library to work with Orchidea command line tools in OM’s environment, and I just don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t/couldn’t work.

All the best,
António

Yes, it would be great if the same care was put in doing it than the one Carmine and Daniele put in the max version…

I’m referring to the still available OM-Orchidee which is unusable because it does not even comply with the basic concept of playing back repitched samples. If you don’t have the sample, it’s not playable in the real world…

If you can do it, please go ahead.
best
Yan

1 Like

Yan,

OM-Orchidée isn’t the issue of the post, I only mentioned it en passant to introduce the idea of an OM-Orchidea as I summarized it in my OP and previous reply. It was just a snippet of orchidean History.

All the best,
António

Dear all
I started a version for OM with Jean Bresson but we have now not resources to work on it. The idea to make a “language” for assisted orchestration in Max, in connection with Bach, is partly to compensate the lack of the OM version.
We will see what we can do in the future.
All best
C

4 Likes