< Back to IRCAM Forum

OpenMusic and Orchidea

Hi,

We now have a present-day counterpart to Orchis on MaxMSP… Will there be a present-day counterpart to OM-Orchidée, as well? It would be great to also have an OpenMusic library to work directly with Orchidea’'s command line tools in OM’s environment.

Given the present health crisis, I’d just like to say that I hope everyone in this community is doing well and thriving. Stay safe.

All the best,
António

1 Like

Very nice idea. Meanwhile, one can use the bridges between OM and bach library to make OM and orchidea working together…

1 Like

Very bad idea.
OM-Orchidee has always been an awful idea since you cannot have micro interval playback of the audio buffers !!
You would have to use omsupervp to repitch every sound in your solutions, etc…
This thing has to be thrown away asap !

Yan Maresz

Hi Yan,

I don’t agree, I think it would be great to have an OpenMusic library to work with Orchidea command line tools in OM’s environment, and I just don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t/couldn’t work.

All the best,
António

Yes, it would be great if the same care was put in doing it than the one Carmine and Daniele put in the max version…

I’m referring to the still available OM-Orchidee which is unusable because it does not even comply with the basic concept of playing back repitched samples. If you don’t have the sample, it’s not playable in the real world…

If you can do it, please go ahead.
best
Yan

1 Like

Yan,

OM-Orchidée isn’t the issue of the post, I only mentioned it en passant to introduce the idea of an OM-Orchidea as I summarized it in my OP and previous reply. It was just a snippet of orchidean History.

All the best,
António

Dear all
I started a version for OM with Jean Bresson but we have now not resources to work on it. The idea to make a “language” for assisted orchestration in Max, in connection with Bach, is partly to compensate the lack of the OM version.
We will see what we can do in the future.
All best
C

4 Likes

Hi Antonio,

We talked briefly about how to import to Max the .txt files from Orchidea 0.5 command line version. Your patch worked a year ago, when I was last using it. Now that I try to import from the 0.5 or 0.6 Orchidea, I get no results. I was wondering if it still works on your machine?

The format of the .txt file between 0.5 and 0.6 versions have slightly changed. But even if I orchestrate with the 0.5 version, I cannot get result into bach.roll. If for you it’s working, I would like to have a short chat with you, if that is in any way possible. Thank you so much!

Yes, I’m also looking for the command line Orchidea to OM library. Or, maybe if it’s very easy to import the command line .txt to OM poly, that would be super helpful already!

Best wishes,
Maija

Oh, actually I finally got it to work… very simple fix on my end.

Key for me was to add .connection.txt to the end of the file and then it started to work. However, I tried it earlier today also, but got no results. Some magical pleasant thing has happened.

orchidea.fromfile.toroll
and there’s a nice tutorial too.

Thank you @carminecella !

Best wishes,
Maija

Hi Maija,

Glad the “swiss knife solution” still works on your system after all, as it does on mine.

All the best,
António

Hello all,

I just discovered this thread and i think Antonio’s idea is great. However, since resources are scarce, and most particularly that Orchidea is not available for Puredata which i think is very unfortunate (for those who work with free software and opensource), i think this should wait a little.

Best
K

See MyOrch, you can export a bach.score easily to poly

Best,

Jerome

Thanks to everybody for this nice discussion!

Hi, picking up on this old thread. Fwiw i’ve made (yet another…) OpenMusic lib to interface with the cli-version of Orchidea: notification on the OpenMusic forum.

Atm. it uses the cli-version of Orchidea (‘orchestrate’). Running and saving output, and parses it into various OM classes (poly, multi-seq, chord-seq, sound, voice), for further use inside OM.

This lib has perhaps 2 nice features:

• a special orch-note class, carrying and displaying the various meta-data from the solution (instrument, dynamics, style, sample…) through OMs various editors, and all the way out to notation (LilyPond, MusicXML)

• a voice-allocation algorithm, which supports Orchideas nice feature that one note in a solution can span several segments

You’ll find the sources here: https://github.com/andersvi/OMOrch

-anders

1 Like

and some nice screenshots :-):

1 Like

Thanks so much Anders!
That is amazing! I want to put this in the orch-idea.org website.
C

Finally, a working Linux solution!
A lot of thanx Anders.

BEst
K

I want to put this in the orch-idea.org website

Thanks, please do! :slight_smile:

I’ll keep working with this, mainly based on what is useful in my own work. I’ll try to tidy up some bits from time to time, and make it presentable for others. Not sure what’s most useful in OM yet, please chime in with suggestions. One thing i hope to do soon is find an easy way to browse all solutions for one particular segment, having the score and sound synced in some way.

Bravo Anders,

Maybe we should point out that we need to rename the lib: OMOrch. Are you planning any tutorials?

Welcome in Orch-Idea adventure :slight_smile: !!

Best,

Jerome

Oops, I didn’t see the Workspace inside the lib…

I have this while triggering orchestrate.

Hoping it’s not a true issue… I have the bin folder (0.7 bin) from orch-idea, do I have something to do to install what’s needed ?