< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM for Windows, old versions

Hi Karim,

Yes, the student told me she installed OM 6.16.
Now she has installed Ubuntu on her laptop, but this morning I have received a her mail saying that as alternative solution she could run Win 7 from a usb pen, so to use OM in that OS.
Unfortunately at the moment I have not had the possibility to assist her more directly, so I hope I am exact in explanations and news. I will give a more exact feedback as soon as we can get in touch in our Institute.
Meanwhile many thanks to you all for support.

Ciao

Fabio

P.S.
Only for sake of clearness: the problem started because this student is the only person of the course (composition for didactics) to have a tablet, an Apple one I suppose, so she recovered an old computer for following the course using OM.

Dear Fabio,

I don’ think it is a good idea to work on a win7 on a usb stick. Ubuntu 18 or 19 versions work good with the latest OM version. I suspect that the installation of ubuntu by your student was not that clear. Or, please can we have more info about the specs of her laptop. (processor wise ie.)
So maybe better to stick with the ubuntu solution.
Keep me posted.

Best
K

Hi,

Just for info. Fabio’s student is not alone. I’m in Ubuntu 19.10 and with OM6.16 got the OmAudiolib error. In my case, this error appears every time I upgrade OM version, so I keep a self compiled omaudiolib that I replace on each installation.

best regards,
rc

Dear rc0

Can you be specific about your hardware concerning this problem?
What is your machine processor, etc…

Thank you
K

Dear Karim,

My student has sent me her computer specs, by following image.

I hope it can be useful. She has tested also on Fedora 30, but without success.
I hope next Friday to have the opportunity to get in touch with her and to have time to try to resolve.
If I succeed I will say you, menawhile thank you for help.

Ciao

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

According tour friend dev @ ircam it is as i suspected, it’s due to the processor type. But this is not an issue. We will try to recompile omaudiolib in order to be more and more universal.

Best
K

Dear Karim,

Thank you very much, if we succeed in resolving I will inform you.
Really my student was thinking about changing the computer…
Unfortunately we go slowly because we are not in Institute all/same days.

Ciao

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

Apparently, this is due to the old processor (celeron). So you need to compile the omaudiolib on the machine and replace it. We will deal with this issue in the next release so that it works on most 64bit processors.

If you need assistance, don’t hesitate.

Best
K

Dear Karim,

here’s the output of lshw.

best regards,
rc

hwlist.html (71.9 KB)

Dear Karim,

Thank you. Today I should get in touch with the student, and if I have sufficient time during my pause I will try to compile the library on her computer. I will keep you posted about it.

Ciao

Fabio

Dear Karim,

We have resolved for the moment in this manner: my student has installed Fedora 30, and I had a compiled (on my Fedora 30 if I remember good) version of OM 6.13, that runs on my student’s computer. sdif lib doesn’t not load (probably it should have to be compiled), but for my course this is not a problem, so we can proceed.

Thank you all for help, ciao

Fabio

Hi All,

Sorry to disturb again, yesterday another student of mine, very late indeed with OM installation and settings, have had problems with OMAudiolib on windows 10. Before to try to compile the library on her computer (I have not a windows machine at disposal and she is not very expert in those procedures), is it possible to have a link to old windows OM versions, to test them on her computer?

It seems that the computer does not load the library: recognize it, and it is in correct place, I suppose, but there are not defined problems.

I apologize for scarce information, but at the moment I have not other data about her hardware.

Thanks in advance, ciao

Fabio

Sorry: a further specification.

I think it is a problem similar to that reported here: OM problem to launch on Windows by WillianBilli.

If I remember good the reported screenshots are the same that appeared on my student’s computer.
She has a not very new computer, too.

Thanks again

Faio

Hi everybody.

I am trying to find a way to put the old OMWindows version of OM (6.12) that as Jean Bresson stated should work on some setup on windows 10. (however i am not that sure).
But things here (forumnet) are rather complicated, so i should find a way to put this archive ASAP.

Best to you all.
K

Dear Karim,

I have a site for my course materials, with a page for my OM/PWGL library. I don’t know if possible or opportune, but I could create a link that OM version from that page, if you send me the installer, if that can help. The page is this: https://sites.google.com/site/fdsdbmascagnienglishversion/code/fdsdb_xxth_ct-for-open-music in English, and this: https://sites.google.com/site/fdsdbmascagni/code/fdsdb_xxth_ct-per-open-music-1 in Italian.
If not possible no problem.

Ciao

Fabio

Thanx Fabio for your proposal.

I have put this here:
https://forum.ircam.fr/projects/detail/om-archives/

Hope this works ?
K

Dear Karim,

Thank you very much! As soon as I succeed in getting in touch with my student I will tell you if the version runs: at the moment the Institute is closed until 15th of March (for covid emergency…), so I must search a mail address of the student to get in touch with her before that date.
In Italy there is a proverb: “Piove sul bagnato”, that in English I suppose could be something like “It’s raining on the wet”.
I hope to give you soon good news.
Thank you again, ciao

Fabio

1 Like

I have got this same problem with Windows 10, tested OM 6.15, and 6.16, apparently fdsdb (Fabio) haven’t replied, so I can inform that older 6.12 OM-version runs in my Windows 10, and haven’t noticed any problems (so far). 6.15 and 6.16 also hanged on task manager, neither was able to register OMaudiolib.dll (tried manually too, with regsvr32, didn’t work). But 6.12 seems to work fine.

Hi jp48,

Just a reminder, this is not OM incompatibility, it’s only the omaudiolib.dll which happens to be compiled for newetr cpu’s. Yours apparently is an old one no?
In this case it is too bad to use an old OM. Just try to switch the dlls from 0m612 -> om617. It should be ok.

BEst
K

Hi haddad,

Yes, I am aware of that, saw other thread about it. This laptop is new, but the processor is Intel Celeron N4000, and apparently Celeron doesn’t work in 6.15-6.17. Switching to i5-processor machine tomorrow, just wanted to inform that 6.12 works fine in this (and older) setup. And yes, testing 6.17 by switching omaudiolib.dll from 6.12.

Thanks, best, Jukka