< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM 7.3 freezing on ubuntu 22.04

Hey Forum!

Often when creating new boxes with double-click or ctrl-click OM 7.3 is freezing, however not everytime, so it is not possible to reproduce it reliably. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi. Did you check this thread to see if its something similar:

OM 7.2 (and 7.3) not responsive

-anders

Hi pfchph,

Can you please send us the ~/logs/LispWorks/openmusic-log if it exists.

Best
K

I don’t think it’s related.

Sorry for the delay. Log’s attached.

openmusic-log (12.8 KB)

Hi pfchph,

After examining the log, it seems this is happening after an error. Question:
Do you have at least a modal window such as this when it happens?:
Screenshot_2023-12-01_11-26-04

Anyhow can you try disabling tooltips from here:

An report back if you crash again.

BEst
K

Thank you, Karim!
The only error I was getting was the generic Ubuntu window: OM isn’t reacting - wait/quit
However, having disabled tooltips, OM seems to be quite stable.
Best, phil

1 Like

Now, it is happening again. No idea what might be different in the meantime. Log attached.
openmusic-log (127.9 KB)

Did you check if the tooltips are off in the preferences?

yes, the tooltips are switched off and for the first time, it seemed to work but now it crashes again frequently.

Can you please try with a new workspace just to see if the trouble doesn’t come from your workspace?

Just tested with a new workspace, it’s the same.

This means it comes from your system.
Did you change or customize the look of your Gnome environment?

Not really, except for a wallpaper.
Do you think using X instead of wayland might be worth trying?

No way a wallpaper willl do that sort of thing :slight_smile:
I will try today on my Ubuntu vm and see what’s wrong here. But i can’t reproduce this problem. In openmusic.log there’s no explicit info regarding your crash. It reports a simple error (meaning a crash due to a graphical issue), screen, X, wayland? it could be worth it to test it on X. I hope it is not this kind of incompatibility.
Can you try to see when this crash happens, (moving a window, clicking some particular place, etc.)?

Best
K

I am using wayland on my VM, i think Ubuntu puts this by default.
I will try to reproduce your crashes but i am not sure to succeed.

Best
K

Will test on X.
The crashes happen when creating empty boxes with double-click or crtl-click. Sometimes also when trying to edit lists in an box. The position of the boxes doesn’t matter I think, but I will observe.
Thanks for trying to reproduce!

ok it is essentially good to know. Probably comes from here.
Will investigate.
When doing so (creating a tty box, enpty boxes) this call the terminal. So It might be a problem with accessing your term environment. Do you use Bash (the default)?.

Yes, I’m using bash.

This is absolutely normal. I did a work session under Ubuntu 22.04 and didn’t have any crashes yet. some questions:

1. How do you launch Om, dbl click on the app icon or call it from the terminal?
  2. can you provide the preferences.lisp file of your workspace?

Just trying to see why this happens to you. Suspecting something custom in your environment, but not sure.

Best
K