< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM 7.3 freezing on ubuntu 22.04

Just wondered if it is the same issue as here:

https://discussion.forum.ircam.fr/t/om-crashes-systematically-on-ubuntu-21-10/31446/37

I launched om form the terminal right now and when crashing, it gives (the german part meaning “resource currently not available”):

Warning: G-domain : nil, level 16: invalid source position for vertical gradienttyping:
X-IO-ERROR on “:0 {Lispworks}” : Fatal IO error 11 (“Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar”)

Yes, will provide a preferences.lisp in few minutes…
best phil

preferences.lisp (3.4 KB)

Yes for the above,

It is related to resources apparently. Did you customize the look of your gnome?

No, nothing customized.

I am having the same problem. OM 7.3 running on Pop!_OS (Ubuntu derivative.) I have tried disabling tooltips and tried both X and Wayland as my graphics systems. I also tried deleting and re-creating my workspace. Pop!_Os does use a highly customized Gnome shell although I didn’t do any of the customizations myself.

I just tried OM 7.3 again with evaluation process disabled. This time, it froze almost immediately and hung up my entire system. The fans kicked up on high and the entire desktop GUI was completely locked up. I’ve attached my preferences.lisp file.
preferences.lisp (3.5 KB)

Dear matyas,

I don’t have this os installed. So I cannot test it. But apparently it is a Gnome problem. Can you just test it on a different window manager, say like a lightweight xfce?

Best
K

Dear Karim,

I got similar problems. I’ve experience this in Ubuntustudio, Kubuntu and now in L Mint Xfce.

best,
rc

Hi all,

Can you check please if Liberation font is installed on your system?

Dear Karim,

running

apt list fonts-liberation*

on terminal i got this:

fonts-liberation2/jammy,jammy,now 2.1.5-1 all [installed]
fonts-liberation/jammy,jammy,now 1:1.07.4-11 all [installed]

best,
rc

Hi everybody,

Ok i will retest on my vm (ubuntu 22.04) and will try to reproduce the problem. I didn’t succeed to at first???
And if it is still not working for you, be patient, the new version 7.4 is going to be released pretty soon hoping it will work.

Best
K

Hello,
I also ran apt list fonts-liberation* and got the same output:
fonts-liberation2/jammy,jammy,now 2.1.5-1 all [installed,automatic]
fonts-liberation/jammy,jammy,now 1:1.07.4-11 all [installed,automatic]

Which is what I expected since Pop!_OS is mostly built on Ubuntu packages. Looking forward to 7.4. I am happy to test anything in the meantime.

I’m wondering if this issue might be related to something fairly deep in LispWorks. I tried running OpenMusic from the command line and got the following error on the terminal:

X-IO-ERROR on “:1 {Lispworks}” : Fatal IO error 11 (“Resource temporarily unavailable”)

For comparison, I tried running OM# to see if it would be more stable on my system, and I saw identical behavior, with an identical error message. (Note: I realize that this forum isn’t the place to get help for OM#, I just thought it was interesting that I was seeing the same behavior with the same error on both programs.)

Thanx matyas in pointing in the right direction. apparently it is a X resource problem.
However it is strange i am testing this on a VM Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and cannot reproduce the problem.
Maybe you should be sure to have ALL dependencies installed: libsndfile1, libportmidi0, libsamplerate0, libgtk2.0-0, gtk2-engines-murrine, libcanberra-gtk-module, fontconfig, mime-support, desktop-file-utils, libcurl4

Which i am sure you have, specially gtk2-engines-murrine, libcanberra-gtk-module,

Best
K
PS: retesting now again.

Another thing, can you check if you are in the sudo users. Just type groups in a term

Thanks Karin!

These are my current versions:

desktop-file-utils is already the newest version (0.26+mint3+victoria).
fontconfig is already the newest version (2.13.1-4.2ubuntu5).
gtk2-engines-murrine is already the newest version (0.98.2-3build2).
libgtk2.0-0 is already the newest version (2.24.33-2ubuntu2).
libsamplerate0 is already the newest version (0.2.2-1build1).
mime-support is already the newest version (3.66).
libportmidi0 is already the newest version (1:217-6).
libportmidi0 set to manually installed.
libcurl4 is already the newest version (7.81.0-1ubuntu1.15).
libsndfile1 is already the newest version (1.0.31-2ubuntu0.1).
libcanberra-gtk-module is already the newest version (0.30-10ubuntu1.22.04.1).

and I’m the sudo users.

best,
rc

Hello,
I also have the latest versions of those packages, and am in the sudo group. The suggestion that this may be an X server issue gave me pause for thought: I had been using Wayland, so I thought I’d try X11. I did apparently have slightly better luck with X11 in that OM seemed to run a bit longer before crashing, but it did eventually crash, so I doubt that’s related.
I doubt this is relevant either, but if we suspect that there may be something display related going on, I have an Nvidia card and I’m using the Nvidia graphics drivers. I could try with the onboard Intel graphics as well.

Hello,

May I add that I experience the same in Ubuntustudio with Nvidia drivers, Xubuntu and currently LM Xfce with Intel graphics. I believe that’s something related with display cuz I got visual glitches when moving objects or trying to connect them, but this is just a guess…

best,
rc

Dear Friends,

Concerning X11/wayland issue, it is not related. I tested them both and it is running on my VM. By the way i am on Debian 12 natively and it runs without any glitch. I am sorry , ui am trying really to reproduce your problems but without any success.

Now i don’t have Nvidia, i am on an Intel graphics card. So this mugth be some lead.
I have another machine with nvidia running on Debian and will test it to see if I can reproduce the crash.

If not, i will finally report this to LispWorks team to see, if they had any feedback on this issue.

Best
K