< Back to IRCAM Forum

Live following an acoustic piano

Hello,

Is there a way I can look into the motionfollower object? I’m trying to build a system where the live audio (of a acoustic piano) can follow a prerecorded soundfile from the same piece. (Because I want some sort of interactive backingtrack that follows the live piano instead of the piano player following the backingtrack or clicktrack).

I’ve tried to use voicefollower~ but because this is build for voices, and not for a piano with so many different pitches and overtones, it isn’t working good enough yet for what I’m trying to make.

So now I’m thinking about using the motionfollower~ to compare the first 10 or 20, or how many is needed, partials from the live audio and the prerecorded file with each other for a more accurate following. I use iana to get the partials out of the audio but I’m not sure how to send them into the motionfollower~ object because it needs mubu files. I think I could make a mubu file with lists from the first 10/20/etc partials from the prerecorded file and I’m not sure wether it’s possible to write the live data directly into something the motionfollower~ object can read… Maybe if I could look into the motionfollower object I could try some things? Or maybe one of you knows how to do this or has a tip on how I should do it better?
Thanks in advance!!

Silva

Hi @silva,

first thing first, what for are you following piano ?
If you want to triggers events and that you have a score, you might be giving a try to Antescofo.
Then if you really want to follow “superficially” the sounds using motionfollower, you will probably follow the global energy descriptor that can actually work very well. Partial might be tricky since there are many and can be different from one situation to another one (like reverb, other piano…)

My 2 cents

greg

1 Like

Hi Greg @beller ,

Thanks for your response! I want to follow the piano because the pianist wants other things (like functions in ableton live or hardware like synths or effects) to be triggered on specific points in the composition without having himself or someone else on stage who does this. He first played with a backingtrack where things were triggered from his ableton project and he played along with a clicktrack, but now I’m trying to build something that follows him instead of him following the clicktrack. One of the problems is that his music is pretty slow and some parts are really monotonous/repeating and minimalistic so I guess this can make it harder for software to follow him.

I did not yet discover Antescofo so thank you very much for that tip! It seems like this antescofo~ object is able to get the pitches out fo the piano piece? Or at least compare the pitches he gets from the wavfile to the score? This seems like excactly what I need! I’m gonna look further into this, thanks a lot!

Silva

Hi Greg @beller ,

I’m trying to download ascograph for the visualistation of antescofo but I can’t a correct download anywhere. When I download it here: https://forum.ircam.fr/projects/detail/ascograph-the-antescofo-graphical-editor/
I only get the readme file and a .gitattributes file but no ascograph app… I’m trying to reach sleroy because I think she uploaded/made it, but for some reason I can’t send messages yet. Do you maybe have any idea where I can download it?
Thanks!

Silva

Hi Silva,

You can download the Antescofo Max package from Greg’s link.

To download Ascograph you can download the last version of the Antescofo Max package from the IRCAM forge page, Ascograph is included in the package (which, for whatever reason, is not in the Forum version): https://forge.ircam.fr/p/antescofo/downloads/

You’ll find the Ascograph editor app inside the externals subfolder. You can then copy it to the externals subfolder of the Forum version of Antescofo. And finally, you can move/copy the Forum Antescofo package to your Max packages folder, and you’re set.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
António

PS: I don’t know if this is a “Forum-sanctioned” way of doing it, but it worked for me both in Max 7 and 8 on macOS Mojave and Catalina alike.

1 Like

Hi all, you’re right @antonioflorenca

I don’t know why there’s no ascograph on the forum version (v1.0.1)

there’s ascograph.app in the forge and only here… (v0.92-46)

HIH…

Jerome

1 Like

Hello everybody.

Ascograph is discontinued since 2016. It was based on a technology that has not survived the evolution of compilers and software.

The available version is the version compiled four years ago. It seems that it is still usable for simple partition but scores that make use of new features fail to be loaded by Ascograph. In any case, its use is deprecated.

There are some tools that can be used to achieve the functionalities of Ascograph.

All the best,
Jean-Louis.

PS: because this post is in the section “Gesture & Sound”, I was not aware of the question. If you have some Antescofo score involved in a setup where there is also gesture following, you may be interested by the GeKiPe project conducted by Philippe Spiesser and José Miguel Fernandez at HEM Geneve. The real-time data coming form the accelerometers (RiOTS) and a Kinect are handled by Antescofo to control the sound synthesis:

Another example: in Sampo Haapamäki’s IDEA a gesture follower is used to send “clics” to Antescofo (theses clics are markers in the gesture of the conductor). Antescofo uses these clics to infer a tempo and to trigger some actions (sample, effect, synthesis).

1 Like

Hi,

For those who use the Atom Editor, here is a package for the Antescofo Language and OSC communication with the antescofo~ object :

Best,

N.

1 Like