< Back to IRCAM Forum

Lasting loading libraries message in OM 7 on OsX El Capitan

Hi,

I have created a new thread from my post here: OpenMusic 7.0 released - #8 by fdsdb

It is not a HD problem, I suppose, it is new and SSD. The problem happens with every library if I preload more than one. I have copied start lisp listener messages, and I have a lot of FASL errors. I enclose a rtf file.

Some suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Fabio

log_start_OM.rtf (32.5 KB)

HI Fabio,

What is the processor ?
Best
K

Hi Karim,

Intel processor, my laptop is a Macbook Pro mid 2012.

Thank you Karim

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

Your log shows that you have a lot of .64xfasl error.

1. Do you autoload all these libraries?
  2. Can you load the libraries manually one by one, ie no autoload. And don’t load Prisma for the time being.

Best
K

Dear Karim,

I have seen there are a lot of xfals errors… :slight_smile: Sorry to be always me to put annoying questions.
I have aòready tried to autoload one library at time, but, whatever order I follow, if I autoload only one library there are no problem, but as soon as I autoload two (or more) libraries, I think no matter of which they are, I have the usual strange behavour.

If useful: if I start OM 6.20 I have no xfals errors in reading lisp listener information.

Ciao

Fabio

This is very strange.
First thing you want to do is to remove ALL .64xfasl files. (Do this one library at a time).
It should be fixed. Or better, download the libraries afresh.
The xfasl files are compiled files. For a strange reason they are not loading correctly.

BEst
K

Hi Karim,

I have begun to erase all xfasl files, now I am loading OM with only my library, Situation and Alea preloaded. But the problem is always here. Besides I have had some errors relative to xfals in OMChroma, even if I was not autoloading it. I have deleted also all OMChroma xfals files, but there is the same problem, relative to Situation auto-loading process (downloaded again, so it is a fresh install).

I supposed it could be because my library require Alea and Situation, so I commented the code in my FDSDB_XXth_CT.lisp file, but nothing change: to be concise, if I preload more than a library, I encounter this problem.

Now I can try to delete all xfals files of all libraries I autoload on start, but I think it will not resolve.

Meanwhile thank you for support, perhaps it is a problem of old El Capitan OsX version, but if possible I would avoid to update…

Ciao

Fabio

A little upload: I am starting OM 7 with autoloading libraries all whitout any xfals file inside them, and I have no more xfals errors. The permanence of the advice is always present, but it lasts, perhaps, a litlle less.

I have noticed, starting OM 6.20, that there are the same advices, but they flow very fastly and no one hangs. So, sorry for my bad English, it is as if, in OM 7, there is a delay in making disappear the advice, so one of them hangs. It is only an istinctive impression, so, please, consider it for what can be useful.

Ciao

Fabio

Yes maybe updateing at least up to catalina if possible will resolve all these issues. El Capitan is known for some buggy interface problems.

best
K

But do you think is there any possibility to solve the problem inside El Capitan?

Fabio

No sorry, cannot support old mac OS with LW8. It is mac policy to move on new systems (same as windows). So there is no way to back compatibility.
Unless you keep using old OM version with El Capitan or move on new OS (at least Catalina).

Best
K

O, thank you I will evaluate it :slight_smile:

Fabio

Hi Karim,

Another update: I have noticed that, after workspace has loaded, with the annoying advice in front, if I go on finder or another whatever application (ctrl-tab, to be clear), and I return on OM 7, the annoying advice disappear.

I think ti can be a good compromise…

Ciao

Fabio

Yes why not. If the libraries are working you can ignore this. However i will look into it. But i will need an old Mac OS to test it with. Please also see about the fasl error issue here:

It could be related. ie, loading the libraries from sources will take some time. I can send you for a test reason a compiled library on LW8 that “hangs”. Just tell me the one which is really annoying.

Best
K

OK, send me, I can test it on my old El capitan.

Ciao

Fabio

Which library in particular?

Sometimes the advice is relative to Situation, but it depends on which libraries I am autoloading, because, for example, if I autoload only two ones, the advice can be relative to one of these two ones, so I can not understand the inherent logic. Other times the advice is relative to OMPrisma.

Very rarely I receive also an advice with standard OM interface (like the advice when I load OMPrisma), relatively to an error (sorry, I have been not able to catch a screenshot), OM load without any workspace, only first menu, I must shut down, reopen and it runs. If it happens again I will send a screenshot.

Sorry I am not more exact.

Thanks, ciao

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

Try this version of situation and tell me if the loading message doesn’t hang:

Situation 3.0.zip (930.5 KB)

Dear Karim,

I have tested with multiple settings. Only Situation preloaded of course no message. If I preload also another one, for example Alea, the message appears. Once I have had a message relative to OMChroma, even if it was not preloaded. I have tried also with Situation and Chaos preloaded, obtaining a message relative to Chaos. To summarize, the message is not always realtive to same library.

I hope this help, even if I don’t see any meaning…

Thanks ciao

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

As Mr. Spock says, “it is logical!”. Situation library will not give you the hanging message dialog. We need to compile all these libraries and you will not have any message hanging. However, i cannot NOW do this. Furthermore, for users of OM6, this will give bad results. So tell me what library you need urgently to load, and i will compile them one at a time whenever i can.

Best
K