< Back to IRCAM Forum

Tonnetz 1.0 release

Hi Antonio,

First of all, my apologies. Didn’t know you are the author of this very interesting library since on our github page, it mentions D. Diverio 2014. Please let me know if we must change this mention. I will do without problem.

Please do tell me what the problem of the highlighting is about. Since i had to make it compatible with LW8 and our three os (mac, linux and win32), some issues may arise.

Can you be more explicit about this? Will be glad to fix it if possible.

Best
K

Hi Karim,

I’m not the original author, I debugged and (considerably) revamped it a few years ago. Here’s how it all started for me: A New Tonnetz Editor for OpenMusic

In my version, the current chord now sometimes displays incorrectly when I press the left/righ-arrow key. The MIDI output remains perfectly consistent (with auto-play enabled or when I press space-bar), though. Not a big deal.

There’s absolutely no need for any sort of apology, and I see no need for any special legal mention… Besides, I’m actually the one who created the project page and wrote the mention in it.

All the best,
António

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Hi Antonio,

No worry. By the way i had changed some shortcuts and added a help dialog for the Tonnetz editor. Please feel free to tell me if it needs some enhancements, changes, etc.

I will state your name in the project ASAP.

Best
K

Hi there,

Thanks so much for this, useful to many of us I’m sure.
I have some questions which are not covered in the readme file…

• It seems that ET is the rule… can this be modified to create a tonnetz with just intonation/microtonal intervals, for example?
  • playback seems to be always octave equivalent (e.g. all Cs are the same middle C). Can this also be changed so that register is respected?

Dear jredmond,

Please be advised, as stated, this library is : “Work-in-progress: Tonnetz representation in om”, so the readme is in a primitive form, so please don’t expect it to be 100% efficient.

Now for your suggestions, this could be possible, but will take some coding. I don’t know if the author of the library is still supporting his project, but if i have time will see what i can do about it. Concerning your first request, sorry, didn’t get what is an ET? (personally i am not very fluent in Tonnetz, sorry about that.)

Best
K

Hello, sorry for the late reply, was very busy and now back to my projects :slight_smile:

By ET I meant Equal Temperament. I suppose what I am asking is, can the Tonnetz editor be used to create Just Intonation tonnetz and playback, for example?

Thank you~

Dear Jredmond,

No unfortunately this library was not designed for equal temperament (22 tones).

BEst
K

Hello Karim

I guessed it… Don’t worry, though; I can use this library on Fedora. Because PWGL is the final OS X version that still supports it, I choose to retain this version even if it is an older one because the most often used libraries on my El Captain (yep, Intel CPU) operate well. I need to access certain documents on that program. On Fedora, I can use it in emulation, but it is not a comfortable method.

Once again, I appreciate your help.

Dear Brettlee,

sorry i didn’t understand your request here. Can you elaborate, (examples, etc.)

Best
K