< Back to IRCAM Forum

Tonnetz 1.0 release

Hi all,

This is to announce the release of Tonnetz 1.0 OM library, a library for the Tonnetz representation in OM.

Lot of fixes.

Best
K

Hi Karim,

Thank you very much. I have installed this new release, but in opening the tutorial patch I receive this error on loading the library:

Error while loading the library Tonnetz:
“netz-transpose-chords is defined as an ordinary function #<interpreted function netz-transpose-chords 82F0103524>”

I am on OsX 10.11.6, OM 7.0. On Linux Fedora 32, same OM version and Tonnetz library, I receive the same error.

Ciao

Fabio

Oops,

I will see the problem and post the fix ASAP

best
K

All good on M1 mac mini, OSX v12.4

Thank you very much for the update

Best,

Jerome

Dear Fabio,

Are you sure you loaded the NEW tutorial and not the old one, since the old one (the one from the repository BEFORE the update) is bad.

I have tested it on a VM and all works good…

BEst
K

PS: Thanx to jerome

Hi Karim,

Yes, I am sure. However on Linux, to be absolutely sure, I have now deleted the tutorial folder, verified I have the updated library, and re-imported the Tonnetz tutorial, but the problem persists, sorry. On Mac I have not yet verified.

Ciao

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Another explanation could be that you have other libraries loaded (or autoloaded) where this particular method netz-transpose-chords is defines as a function.

I am practically sure about this. Try loading ONLY this library, then one by one the other libraries until you see the same error message.

If the problem persist, please do look if there are no lisp patches in your init folder.

Please do report back.

Best
K

Hi Karim,

Thank you, you are a magician: I had an old Tonnetz.lisp file in my Workspace User folder. I have deleted it, and now on Linux everything runs perfectly. I can load Tonnetz library and open the tutorial patch and the class.

On Mac (OsX 10.11.6, OM 7.0) library loads good, I can open the patch, but if I double clic the class I receive a series of errors. A first time about something related to a pointer, I suppose it is something related to graphical display. Sorry, I have not saved a screenshot and now I can not reproduce the error. Some time before I have had an error displayed on Terminal, that opened more than a time, I had to force OM to quit.

Now I have had this one:

immagine

and the class opens missing some interface elements, as in precedente cases if I remember good:

immagine

and I can close the patch, but not the Tonnetz window, that remains opened until I quit OM.

Please, consider I am always on El Capitan OsX version…

That’s all what I have observed, I am to your kind disposal for any testing, if you need.

Ciao

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

Great news. However for the Mac version problem you assume correct. It is related to your OS which is somehow rather old. I assume you have an old mac (intel cpu?). Maybe if i compiled the sources the issue will disappear but i doubt this. Did you consider upgrading your OS?

Best
K

Dear Karim,

I supposed it… But, please, don’t worry, I can use this library on Fedora. The more frequently used libraries on my El Capitan (yes, Intel CPU) run good, so if I can I prefer to conserve this OsX version even if old, because it is the last one in which PWGL still runs. I have some materials I need on that software… I could use it in emulation, indeed on Fedora I can do, but it is not a comfortable way.

Thanks again for your support, ciao

Fabio

Ok I understand. I will try to compile a version but the problem is the testing. I have both Catalina and big sur. Will see if this works on my VM.

Best
K

Dear Karim,

I can help you with tests on my El Capitan. In the classroom I have a High Sierra OsX, too, I will be in Leghorn, where is my Institute, on 11, 12, 13, 14 July, and perhaps some other day (I don’t live in Leghorn, so I must do it on days in which I am there).

So, please, if you need tell me, I do it with pleasure.

Ciao

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

I have tested this issue on High Sierra om7 and I had the same error.
It is not related to the library but to om’s version not supporting old OS (oops). It still works on Catalina.
Anyhow, i have received an update and will look into this problem hoping it could be resolved. Meanwhile you can use om6.20 version, and tonnetz will work. Note that you can have several OM versions in your Application folder. They will all work.

Best
K

Dear Karim,

Thank you for this information update. Sorry for the inconvenient, perhaps it was better if the fault was in OsX… Yes, I know I can use multiple OM versions, and besides my paranoic obsession for backups grants me all versions also offline… :slight_smile: thank you.

Of course my disposability for testing remains. And eventually on Linux I have also, by Virtual Box VM, the possibility to test on Mavericks, 10.10.

Ciao

Fabio

hello Karim and Fabio,

I can confirm the same problems under Mojave.
regards,
perti

Hi All,

Today I am in my Institute, I can confirm same error on High Sierra 10.13.6:

immagine

It occurs if I try to open the class in tutorial patch. and interface opens missing some components, as in one of my previous screenshots.

Ciao

Fabio

Dear Fabio,

Yes i have reported this on High Sierra. Just give me time to see what is the origin of this error. It could be:

1. om7 compiled on LW8.0. Which means that i must test it on LW8.1 featuring bug fixes
  2. Related to unsupported old OS. In this case i will contact LW support and report to them
  3. Could be also an issue with non compiled sources of the library.

Will test these and report back to you.
Thank you all for your kind support and patience.

Best
K

Hi Karim,

Is there any new functionality in this version? For what it’s worth, my version still seems to work fine (I’m now running OM 7 on macOS 12.4.)

Screenshot:

All the best,
António

Dear Antonio,

There are no extra functionality per se, BUT a lot of bug fixes:

1. the old icon generated lagging display of the patch itself.
  2. now the tonnetz class saves correctly
  3. Resolced many compatibilities with latest mac OS.

Best
regard
K

Hi Karim,

The original icon I made is a 2880X2880 png file and I apparently forgot to downsize it. I wonder why you’d need to change the format, though.

I’ve noticed that the highlighting of the current chord has become somewhat inconsistent since my last macOS upgrade, other than that everything seems to work fine on my end.

All the best,
António