< Back to IRCAM Forum

Still not running on MAC M2 Ventura

Hello everbody,

I would like to run Somax2 on my M2. I read that there are problems and I tried to follow the instructions.

I’m opening it with Rosetta
I changed the security settings
I replaced the .mxo files
I downloaded iterm

but I’m still having two main problems:
1.) the Server is collapsing. It runs for a while and then it goes offline again.
Terminal says: [Errno 48] Address already in use. Could not initialize the agent properly - please delete it and try with a different OSC receive port.
I don’t know what to do with that.
Also it’s not possible to run the server out of Somax because of a permission problem I couldn’t fix.

and then 2.)
I can load a corpus. But there is nothing happening and Player Controls are still gray. I only hear the direct sound from the mic.

Is there any step by step guide on how to get in running on M2 Ventura? Does anybody found some more sollutions?

Thanks in advance fo the help.

Hi philippk,

Thanks for detailing out the steps that you’ve done so far.

I’ve never seen this error before, and it’s a bit of an obscure one. From your description of what you’ve tried so far, It seems like this could happen if multiple servers are running simultaneous. First of all, could you quit all terminal windows and Max, and then open the Activity Monitor app and check that there are no processes called somax_server running?

If there are, please force quit those.

Now, you describe that you tried to run the server outside of Max but couldn’t get it to work. I think if we can solve this, we will automatically solve any problems cause when running it from inside Max.

First of all, open the same terminal app (Terminal or iTerm) that opens when launching the server from inside Max. Note that the issues with Terminal described in earlier posts is only for older versions of Monterey, on Ventura either app should work.

Run:

cd "~/Documents/Max 8/Packages/Somax-2.5.0/misc/somax_server.app/Contents/MacOS/"

(if you have your Max folder elsewhere, you might have to adjust this slightly) then

./somax_server

Do you have any errors here? If so, could you copy the full output and post it here?

If not, could you open any Somax patch (e.g. somax2.maxpat) in Max and see if it works this way? Or if you get any errors here, again please copy the full output from the terminal window.

hi borg,

thank you so much!
it was the problem of having two servers running!
now it works!

kind regards,
Philipp

Hi borg,

now problems did start again.
It worked great for a few days.
And now, and don’t why, the Server always writes Dublicate. When I open the somax_server with terminal there are now seven processes starting in the Activity Monitor. And even when I close all of them the Server inside Somax still answers me Dublicate. When I close six processes and leave one open Terminal writes me: process completed.

do you also have a solution for this?

Best,
Philipp

Hi philippk,

I’m trying to give you answers to multiple questions you raised in your previous posts.
First of all, which Ventura version do you have?
iTerm was needed for the first Ventura release, which had issues with Apple Terminal, but it seems to be solved in later versions of Ventura.
In any way, using iTerm is not a problem, it’s just probably not needed if you have a later Ventura version (please note that if you use Terminal, this should have full disk access in the privacy settings).

Regarding the use under Rosetta, you say that you replaced the .mxo files.
Are you referring to the ones linked in this post: Somax2.5 Natively on ARM processors (M1/M2)?
If this is the case, you are using ARM compiled externals, so you don’t need to open Max under Rosetta anymore.

Now, going back to your later post. The Somax server typically says “Duplicate” when multiple servers are running. How many Max windows do you have open, and how many Somax servers are in there?
We highly recommend to only use one server for every Max session you have.
Be aware that Max by default opens up all previous windows when restoring the application, and this might cause problems with the temporal initialisation of servers if you have multiple instances of them (meaning you will have many servers but it will be hard to recognise which is the first-initialised one, that is the only one active).
In Max preferences, I suggest to turn off the “Restore windows on launch” option (in the Interface menu tab), and quit Max. When you open it again you should have no patches loading on launch, so if you now create a single Somax server, this will be for sure the one running.

Your issue of closing six processes out of seven might be related to this order of initialisation.
Somax typically writes “process completed” when you shut down the true server (the one that is running), so you are probably terminating it without noticing.

I’d suggest you to try this cleaner approach of dealing with the server and be really sure to only have one initialised at a time.
Be also aware that the tutorial patches included in the package have servers that automatically initialise, so if you have tutorials open, they might contain the true server.
Always close tutorials before creating your new server, of create a new patch with your server before opening the tutorials, so that your server will always be the first initialised.

Don’t hesitate to provide more details if you still have issues,

Best