< Back to IRCAM Forum

Speaker setup - sweet spot yes and no

Hello there!

I’m currently working on a study project with an already existing speaker setup which can be described as experimental. We use flux for the first time, so unfortunately none of us has in-depth knowledge on how this thing works. I already integrated the plugins in the DAW and already got some decent sound out of it. But now the problem: Not with the speaker configuration I need. The mentioned speaker setup looks roughly like this (distances are not correct, doesn’t matter because the problem is the alignment of the speakers):

How can I put this setup into Spat? I know how to position the outer speakers that point directly towards the listener as they are simply sweet spot orientated. Now - is there a possibility to arrange the four other speakers like in the picture (the signal of the speakers facing the wall is meant to reflect on it and get back into the center)?
I’m honest, I don’t actually know what’s the exact idea behind this setup and why it isn’t simply arranged circle-like, but they told me to use this setup if however possible.

I hope someone can help me out on this and if it’s just that this is not possible. In this case, a rearrangement has to be considered in order to use Spat. Thank you!

Hi jdrew,

I dont really know what to do with such setup.
Spat (like pretty much all spatialization software tools) implicitly assumes that the speakers are (more or less) oriented toward the listening area.
So, I’m not sure how to deal with the wall-facing loudspeakers (and I dont understand the rationale for that).

One thing you might try : consider that these speakers are actually located on the walls (at the location where sound reflection is expected to occur), and facing toward the center. Then compensate (in terms of delays and gains) for the extra propagation of these speakers (i.e. you would need to delay and dim all the other “sweet spot oriented” speakers).
Just an idea.

Regards,
T.