< Back to IRCAM Forum

Spat vs Spat Revolution, and a Side Quest

Hi,

What are the major differences feature-wise between Spat and Flux’s Spat Revolution? What am I able to do with Spat Revolution, that I’m not able to with Spat already?

And here’s the side quest… Thibaut Carpentier did a presentation back in 2016 on bridging OpenMusic and JUCE. Are there any published papers or tutorials available on this? I’d really like to dive into it as much as I can…

Any hints or insights on these issues would be much appreciated.

All the best,
António

hi,

Spat revolution is based on Panoramix

Panoramix is also present in the Spat5 package… /packages/spat5/patchers/Panoramix-Ircam.maxpat

hoping it helps

best,

Jerome

Spat Revolution operates as a standalone application, and it comes with plugins that can be inserted into your DAWs to convey audio streams to/from the standalone.

Spat5 (for Max) operates inside Max/MSP, so you’d need to learn the (basics of) Max environment. And you’ll benefit from the flexibility of Max.

“Feature-wise”, Spat5 (for Max) is more advanced, and it includes the latest research outcomes (including experimental features).

No, sorry, there is no publication nor tutorials about bridging Juce and OpenMusic (or Juce and Max).

All the best,
T.

Hi Jérôme, Thibaut,

Jérôme, I know your Panoramix Max4Live device well. I use it a lot in Ableton Live, it’s really awesome.

Thibaut, it’s great to know that the Max package offers more advanced spatialization features. On the other hand, I was really hoping I could find something on my “side quest.”

Thank you both.

All the best,
António