< Back to IRCAM Forum

SPAT for Max for Live

It depends on what you are planning: free or paying, if you want to share, the Ircam Forum offers a GitLab to its members but you can use GitHub. I understand that you want, above all, your patch to be solid. As for quadraphony, I am disappointed, I prefer hexaphony, which I consider as a minimum.

The idea of using Jitter is a good solution, and it’s true that your basic patch can have several futures but things will be clearer when you’ve completed your basic project.…

Best, happy patching

Jerome

thanks, I know how it works here.

I ll be presenting the tool saturday at 19H french time

Then the video will be in the virtual galery. The virtual gallery will be launched Saturday too. It’s pretty cool

I ll be going through how it works. It’s super straight forward. But obviously i couldn’t go through all the possibility that are open working this way in the context immersive creation.

Once the event is done, i will share the video.

Thx!
Eric

1 Like

sorry, I’ve missed it…

watch again here (without audio comment)

https://vimeo.com/508847468

1 Like

Thank you fraction,

Best,

Jerome

1 Like

Nice work ! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Hi Fraction,

Thanks for posting this. I think Ableton/Spat users will find it interesting and useful.

I’m curious about the appearance of your Spat user interface. Did you create that? I use the basic Spat Oper GUI, but I’m curious about the amdx patch you have for your version.

Also, which automated rotation Max patch are you using in Spat? Navid Navab created one for me using the ambicontrol Max patch for Spat in OMax.

My Spat consultant was reluctant to configure it for my 2, 4 and 8 channel Max4Live patches, as it was too close to work he is doing for the Dispersion Lab.

Do you know what time your presentation is happening on Saturday as I’m performing with Doug Van Nort’s Electroacoustic Orchestra 3:30-5:30?

1 Like

Hi Fraction,

Your Spat for Ableton is FABULOUS!!! This is what I hoped for when I first posted about Spat for M4L and Ableton.

Important question: Can you create and save sound trajectories and use them for live sound sources in performance?

Sure hope so.

Thanks a million for your terrific work.

Best wishes,

Glen

1 Like

hi Glen,

so well, of course if you write all your automation, everything will be saved like a regular ableton project. If the idea is only to play the trajectory in live, then just record the automation. You can just for instance automate your trajectory in a clip as i did, and launch that clip in live… The sound will move follwing this clip envelop (like any other envelop)

In addition, it will come with generative procedural engine running in the jitter world for real source animation. I m thinking of other features about trajectory, but i m not a big fan of the trajectory thing. I believe people tended to use that because there wasnt solution to manage mouvement easily… but here i m covering already a lot of cases.

Presentation was last week.

yes the interface is all custom made. It is running as a standalone, and a large part of the code is in it. I dont use spat oper gui. All geometric messages are created and managed from that 3d scene.

first of all this is a god damn beautiful implementation great work fraction <3

I think the decision to do trajectory via automation was a great choice, it is one of the things live does really well, I would even go so far as to call it the best software in the world for automation, plus expandebility via m4l is easy. Same reason I prefer my own m4l device over max even though oper can be problematic.

I have been unable to start school do to corona, so i have a lot of free time on my hands, so if you need someone to stress test etc. I would be happy to help.

1 Like

@glenhall

if you are still looking to make a m4l device then this might help you: https://forum.ircam.fr/projects/detail/forummaxapps2-spat5/

as I wrote before, I’m just at home, so if you need a m4l device and can’t wait for fraction’s baby, I would happily look into helping you make one for your setup.

Hi Emil,

Thank you very much for your generous offer. I’ve had a grad student who is skilled with M4L and Spat configure 3 patches (2 speakers, 4 and 8). But it works in Ableton Live with Oper, which is a little clumsy.

Currently, I only have use for 2 and 4 channel versions for Live. If you have versions that can save trajectories for specific pieces and also for live-input performances, that would be hugely helpful.

I’m not sure whether this explanation is clear enough, but I’m sure we can figure out details.

Hello again,
yes I totally get what you mean, and yes beyond 4 channels max and oper is the way

the thing to do is to use “live” objects with autopattr, and then use live’s automation to do trajectories, and as long as every parameter you use have a “live” object, settings can be saved and recalled just by saving live. So oper is still there but you do not touch it.

The routing of sources will be done with live’s mc capabilities, and every source needs a set of “live” objects that is named proplably. ex. azimuth1 azimuth2.

So if you could say how many sources you would need at max and maybe a email, I will gladly make some devices for you.
I could also make a toturial patch that explains clearly what to do.

oh and in the link I send before the great Manuel have made a one source stereo m4l device that can be saved and recalled, and a lot of other nice stuff, actually all the info you need is in Manuel’s patches and the “audio routes” documentation.

let’s talk tomorrow goodnight <3

Hi Emil,

Thanks for your detailed reply. You reminded me that the versions I have don’t have pattr storage. Big omission.

2 and 4 channels are all that are practical for me. When I play live, it’s usually a stereo PA. At home, I have 4 and 8 speakers, but 8 is a nightmare of cables all over the place, so I rarely use it. I sometimes play at York University’s Dispersion Lab with 24 speakers, but their tech does all the routing (he’s the guy that did my Spat patches).

Should I send them to you so that you don’t have to build things from scratch? If so, can I do that throught the Forum or do I need your personal email?

Talk tomorrow.

1 Like

hello I have send you a message with my info :sunny:

sometimes soon, i hope my solution will solve all those issues in the ableton user community

I aim to make it available around march/april.

Meanwhile, stay tuned and if possible follow me here:
https://www.instagram.com/fraction_is_noise/
that’s likely from there that i will keep the community informed in a regular basis,

Hi Fraction,

Hope you are well and have avoided Covid contacts.

Have you made your Max for Live Spat device available yet? Any timeline? Please keep me posted as I have a project that would benefit from your expertise.

Thanks,

Glen

2 Likes

Hi Glen,

sorry i missed your message. I m rarely around here.

Thx for your interest. The m4l is not available yet. But, without revealing too much, i hope to release it now, really, within several weeks, before summer.

After an immense amount of work, i can tell that I m also looking forward to share it, but i had to make sure it was steady enough before considering sharing it with the community and other users than me,

Comparatively to the video you saw few months before, it’s way more cool :slight_smile:

stay tuned!
-eric.

2 Likes

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response. I’m really excited to experience your m4l ‘monster’. I was blown away but what I saw in your video. Now I’m seriously pumped to see what else you are going ‘loose on the world’!

Looking forward intensely.

Glen

2 Likes