< Back to IRCAM Forum

Spat as library?

I’ve been using Spat as an external renderer to VBAP and WFS mixing formats on a virtual reality research project utilizing a lot of speakers placed around the VR playing field. The audio was sent from the game engine through JACK into Max/Spat and OSC was used to control the rendering aspects.

This has given us a lot advantages over more common approaches like audio middlewares (Wwise, FMOD), since our VR project works with a lot more and custom definable speaker arrangements and we can still do a proper binaural headphone mix.

The next step for us would be to integrate all of this into our app to get rid of the overhead introduced through jack and OSC communication and simplifying the setup. I wonder if Spat or core parts of it are available as library with a C interface so we could link it into our program instead of running it in Max and interfacing it with Jack and OSC. Is a scenario like this possible in some way or would you consider making something like this possible?

1 Like

Hi,

Very glad to read that you were able to build your VR platform using Spat, and even found advantages over other middlewares. Congratulations on that !

Technically, yes, it’s possible to integrate Spat as a C/C++ interface.
This, obviously, goes beyond the IRCAM Forum Software License Agreement, and that would necessitate an ad-hoc contract between Ircam and you. Such a contract would, most likely, include fees.

If you think this is a viable scenario for you, please send me a private message with all useful information (about you/your institution, your project, etc.) and I’ll forward to the team in charge of partnerships.

Regards,
T.

1 Like