< Back to IRCAM Forum

Save spat5.oper Snapshot without windows state and position

Hi Forum,
Is there a way to save the snapshots of the spat5.oper using the snapshot window WITHOUT saving the spat5.oper window state and position?
During a concert, it is better to keep this window closed because it can interfere with the performance. Moreover, when the snapshot is recalled the cursor is inside the spat window.
Of course, this is because the window state and position are saved with the snaphots.
I know that it is always possible to store a snapshot with the spat oper window closed…but in real life, working with spat oper and editing/saving snapshots, one has this window open.

Thanks

Hi,

No, it’s not currently possible.
Rather than not saving the window state, I might instead add an option to not recall the window state when recalling a snapshot. Maybe. In any case : your request is noted.

Best,
T.

Hi,
yes, I meant that. To have an option to “don’t save/recall window state” in snapshots or presets. So that, when desired, one can freely open or close the window while performing. This is a really useful function.
For “window state” i mean the open/close status, the position, the zoom, etc.
So far, the only option I can see is to manually modify the window/visible to 0 in the snapshot textfile. But, of course, an “ignore window state” would be fine.
Thanks

Hi Lorenzo,

There’s a new option in this build. Please give it a try and let me know.
https://filesender.renater.fr/?s=download&token=fa1f71ea-f2ae-43a8-b6c6-851d8cc4b9a0

Best,
T.

Hi Thibaut,
Great! It seems to work properly.
Btw, I remark that recalling the snapsnots, the “cursor” remains inside the spat5.oper window. For example, I am working with the cursor inside a GUI outside the spat5.oper window (a numberbox recalling a snapshot) and, after the snapshot is recalled, the cursor is in the spat window (even if the GUI is highlighted).
I also verified that, in the snapshot is saved also the “viewer only” parameter, even if one activates “store everything except window”

And it would be great if this feature (not saving the spat window state), could be implemented for the preset too.
I.e., we could imagine a value for the parameter “/window/visible” in the preset text file.
It could be “-1” or “ignore”, or whatever.

Thanks for the feedback.

1. About the “cursor” thing :
    as far as I can tell, this occurs only if the snapshot contains window messages.
    This makes sense, because the message “/window/visible 1” gives focus (mouse/keyboard) to the spat5 object.
    When the snapshots are stored without window messages, the cursor focus should stay where it is (in your numbox).
    At least, that’s what I observe.

2. When you store snapshots without window, this ignores all the messages starting with “/window”.
    “viewer only” is controlled by “/viewer/only” message, and therefore it is included into the snapshot.
    This is consistant.

You can workaround this, without much effort.
See attached patcher :

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
593.3ocuVssiaBCD8Y3qvhmoTf.a1z252QUUjAlj0q.ajsgj1U4eu9BNEZHr
nrq5CDjmYfwmiOyg7luWPA6LHBPeC8Cjm2a9ddlP5.dCq8BZvmKqwBSYAT3D
q30fPaJIbVZBKZwx7HVKvcoHUlDph+RlKFsqg0IqAo4ckMD0FR9qVvtQBBBG
cg94PYpNT9BgdbOGJk1JS1DGEGhRiM2dxtHIJ95ynZHg55WxPPAtGp1q1Xp2
ydrTxIEcRKK3cE059wwMfD36AJtn1r4hM4t36698he3JItRVSCPk2vb0LbEp
kCBPhNPTs4V9aiKVQWwvFIYVFM99TU51TM6j+bTdHZ2VCSs4tL0CfukEFhxH
xQJiCnudhPqXmlAlIyKSRWTlrB4QxV6sMoui93yC0pyyVfVgzGtyfzzcyCU2
o5AFURUhOyC7cNAWGbWRXMDPh4117avutQBxusRJUh+ahgd7bFEooyyKaVRB
PzCUqjHxrDQ1xBgzG.w0jdHphyZcHPgvqGg2jbLluJ6myvIYwQhJnjUAMpqw
09vCJYiIIsa5Z7QuZftfUZOttCXGbgcwGCYBsmHHSQ8jBpYzi2kPmTo3EFWt
tRcjTlMk0Xep+tgCTuE5+9cRCOpiOUUHXc7RGyOXqg9KSVABIghkDFcTMY1Z
lU2s19nGdd2Fk7Yzn0fHsE2GuS6VSmRuoS1yLbaaOvECUaZhZl8UFWu74PyR
B0tL2rjCZQnsdyLV.lqlUjpAkNtUNc9I6+lIPO0wocjAKRE7Tsz3GnkdJmNK
RL1F9W7+CrU66PF
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------

Hm, concerning point 1, this is not what I observe.
I mean, even if the function “store everything except window” is active, after recalling a snapshot the focus is always inside the spat window.
This is also true with the [spat5.osc.ignore /window] trick (if i use it well…).
See attached archive.
Spat-snapshots.zip (11.3 KB)

The problem is that :
in your snapshot #1, source #3 is “selected”
while in your snapshot #2, source #1 is selected.
So, when snapshots are recalled, the source selection changes.
Changing the source selection is “like” making a mouse click inside the spat5.oper window.
Therefore your numbox loses its focus.

I’ll see if I can change that, but it’s not a given.

Otherwise, make sure that no sources are selected when saving your snapshots.
(or edit the snapshot file and change /select 1 to /select 0)

Best,
T.

Ok, I see that and I will put to 0 the “select” parameter for every source in every snapshot.
Working with Spat and editing presets or snapshots, is an ordinary situation while in a studio or rehearsing…so, it’s a routine practice that a user opens the window and edits some presets.
Of course, according to the final performing situation, one can close the spat window and recall a spat snapshot automatically from a score or manually from a GUI. So, the “focus” parameter is somehow a useless parameter
Therefore, so far the solution os to put to 0 the “select” parameter in all snapshots.

And…thank you

Hi T,
sorry to ask again.
Is there a simpler way to filter out the “viewer only” state stored in a snapshot file?
And I have an error message in the Max window.
Everything is inside
Spat5-snapshots.zip (12.2 KB)
the patch.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi Lorenzo,

This is another “complicated” story :
when you load the snapshot file, each snapshot is allocated with a given number of OSC messages. For instance, your 1st snapshot contains 386 messages.
But then, you use [spat5.osc.ignore], so one of the message is “missing”. It is therefore “replaced by” an empty message “/”. That explains the error message that you see.
In this case, the error is benign though, and you could just ignore it.

Attached is an alternative version : instead of ignoring the message, it is replaced by “viewer/only 1” (as if you had edited the snapshot file manually).

Admittedly, this is super elegant nor simple. Maybe I could further improve things in the future…
This snapshot feature is relatively new, so your feedback is much appreciated.

Best,
T.

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
1042.3ocyXssiaaCD8Y6uBBEDf1.GKQpK1N8k19ATfh9XxhETRLqYhDo.Iks
2Fj+8xKRq81HuVVRXievRlCozvyLyYlg5aym4kxOPjdfO.9HX1ruMe1LqHif
YMim4UhOjUfk1k4wH64oewagaJE4fxJVVgUwK4xrkTEQzNMM2No9AdeXbqPV
cIkUPT12GrQn9wy1RYObufjob6GXvxfE.3F6sUglqH8+A2c78vqUsuHTiTmH
0iUD2awyag9G3Nyree9bykEiCppsh5t.Xzv.XXh8FZ8E.H7r.70.bgWK3PMn
C8SAckDoD+.4GfGrKrg5DanyisMPKZbQlnMKiuAbbU3ruBjft.HBds.7Y9NX
PvMQnYMqAizNvHbfrOTROw3KlegxTSJTOlMUn0GoRubfujgqja4J+242Ddq+
2NJYOQ3yYEO19VJnLRFuloNcaehoZ0.sTMLY3FarA70LSbFurjnAzOPmWBza
SbQAPxKIfVKjD7KPfhCh+09ZSPIsqLsNMsfbpEo2Y7bFnnfPSBAHL1bKL7r1
ofgDuTWl1Y4U3Sd0Jr.WRzEgumvvMPI3Z83NVQjyyGOJtQJl8vDSNDZ91mOg
P7VpuKLnqjeAdCD7QtLCgQ2DY+pDjJBKGTvw4c4+SFX6UtDeqf2Df7Xduc3t
hxQQCqRFLdsgLt5RtxvKkjewjCXWrr7Qy1.7V4+zlB68AvkpCptLBng4pW4L
EqRtQZzjJsa0tSmsYXXzwYSPi7vBMSKw6Zm3M+kYpmsoAd+l4xa9ayUM0zIY
JsQFttoTOPqyscYkVOTRuMdXyOy.AMAmoqScJsuhH9H7tykTPOK320jEh94J
jf0lAT0dpZK3Sd9RdsHi36pOp4w.eAmW1NFpGKqH3upaUpQThVzIMOYWxdJK
mu2OU2nPtDDGG.BzQT1eGmUuQXexqyFKB6vE8T4mOyYJI8ecsVXb.ufmyr1m
rN+gfhK.+IuH26hg+MGIwQ0iPm00F8hDfEcQDxuWiGs9tGqTBZptsTYiytwa
elVOryYCUlpCwcrvuwWvEYEbIoqC1csEKBeVge3DclU6SaCT9eenE6NvH+41
.Wnbyqpogc.7o8PNQpnLrhxYmrFyAz0QqcyKuFEEbAEYNn0nUj4iAcQMsZJT
TTefTvTnovdnovIw3g5glLm42DzLNMcEFulEURyq35rzMg5g1ONRzpU1iDcb
vH2Xn93VaCxFml5iw1z7830D70J.BE7ZQJLswcwTWsl3woo08ASalBM0mrjn
Iw5kzGMMEQD1j5WrDCZpzTuRdEzQQTbU0NhP1rZqRzsL7EtvLb8B6PJyML1N
TP1QaWusxuGVnK6qz07qEt9qNj3NUoWIOW2bYM0VaetAdZUZaGwzKltMTGRr
csL+6y+O.cfi36A
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------
1 Like

Thank you so much, Thibaut,
I must say that I would just get rid of the viewer state, not forcing it to 1.
I’m new to spat 5 and I have all my live electronic system based on spat 4, therefore I don’t know yet all the possibilities. It’s a huge update!
One of the main problems of spat is how to store its states.
For a long moment, I used pattrstorage, but with each new spat upgrade the number of parameters changed and the system could not recall the presets anymore (for the different number of “atoms”).

• New Spat5 presets are interesting and I will test their stability in future performances. I must say that, as a personal rule, I avoid opening files while performing… but I should try this mechanism with a complex patch.

• Snapshots seem interesting too because you can store all the presets in a unique file, so you can recall it only at the beginning. Moreover, they can interpolate.

For this reason, I want to set up a system working with both techniques to see which one is better.
And as you understood, I need to get rid of the window and zoom settings that interfere with a live performance or rehearsal.

I let you know how I stabilize that and will give you updates!

Thank you, as always, for your fast replies.
L

Hi Lorenzo,

Your use case made me think a little bit. And so I decided to slightly change the file format for storing snapshots. You can give it a try in the new build below.
This should - hopefully - make it easier to manipulate snapshots in your patch.
For backward compatibility, you can still load your previous snapshot files; but you’ll have a warning message to encourage you to re-save the file (in the new format).

(I unfortunately remember all the troubles with pattrstorage…)

Kind regards,
T.

https://filesender.renater.fr/?s=download&token=572d2655-9787-4712-8ce3-d685a073393a

Hi Thibaut,
I will check…I just hope this does not upset other users…

Cool Thibaut,
I find this file format much more essential and less complex to manipulate.
Fantastic!
Thanks!