< Back to IRCAM Forum

Questions about spat.oper settings

Hi everyone,
I’m working on a Max/MSP patch that allows me to automatize the spatialization of the sound from different sources. I’m using spat5.oper and spat5.spat~ for this, everything works fine and I’m happy about it. But as a beginner on the Spat environment I have a question about spat.oper.
What are the main parameters I should care of for the room settings? I made some presets that create the environments of the rooms where I usually work; I’m sending “/room/1/reverb/roomsize $1” and right now I input a value which Is between 20 and 50m³ (following the dimension of the real room), then I send the speakers’ positions and start working on the sources’ xyz. Is this the correct workflow? Should I check some other parameters to get a realistic spatialization? Why the default value for Room size Is 2000 m³ (which seems a pretty big number for it)?
Sorry if I’m not explaining well but I’m confused right now and I’m trying to understand.

Thanks in advance!
Francesco

Hi Francesco,

In spat5.oper, the “main” parameters are represented by large dial buttons – such as “reverberance” and “room presence”.

Your workflow is fine. The “room size” is a handy meta-parameter (it affects all other delay-related parameters of the reverb engine) to quickly/roughly tune the reverb. Yet, it doesn’t have to precisely reflect a realistic space.

Spat is not based on a geometric model / simulation, anyway; it relies on a perceptual model that mimics certain attributes of real spaces. This perceptual model has been designed for relatively large spaces (concert halls, auditoriums, etc.); therefore the 2000 m3 default setting. And the reverb engine is not ideal for very small rooms (20m3 is really small !).
Finally, your reverb settings dont have to necessarily match the “environments of the rooms where you usually work”.

Hope this helps,
T.

Hi T,
thank you for the quick response! In the meanwhile, I discovered a lot of parameters I wasn’t thinking of, such as radius and speaker distance in general correlated to the perception of the sound. I’ve read here that the optimal setup is always keeping the radius at 1m and keeping the speakers at a similar distance; I’ll put an example of how my presets look right now. These simulates the distance and position of the speakers that will perform my project (it is a work for University). Assuming that I have set this wrong, I’m now wondering if I should change the radius to 3m then use spat5.normalize, or change the speakers’ position to fit the 1m radius. Another solution could be changing spat5.spat~ to spat5.align~? (Which I also think has less impact on CPU load)

Thank you again!
Francesco

<pre><code>
----------begin_max5_patcher----------
786.3ocyV1rbaCBDG+ryL4cfQmsk3SITOkGgduoiGrMiCoVeLHbhSxz9r2EP
RIMwx0SljN8fEh+ZgcW1e.9oKuXVxplC5tDzWPeCMa1SfxrflWY1fvrjJ0g0
6TcACSp022r51j48eyoO3B5csJmH0+7WnqL0s6ccHBFcUydW3c43Pp2WYp2o
cg4ifGjMaByCL4KHi1BS25aL0aWZ0qcw.kmmhmi3jPCUPCMvSz2egC.uN3gx
A4nl6gVcbhR5LaqU6Rl+Q8VxygPm5N8lkPt.g8RkyYMq16hK0yddk0meVUk1
osK00pU6BQFN9wed4EgW5agl4mcQpR20o1peaUJqqUq9g11kozaPKn4oBrji
voHVJSvkHPImIJGTH3bzBQYJVlS7ZzTFiyHHuDorrWhVxJPKHTbZYIavLrfh
7RR43HEEBvLAKkWN5SuVPZzo7RV9bTlsooJijY02osqB85LOpAfAOlV6L050
M6qC4VwHyX0c5ZmxYZpWdbS9CDjdDBTbJBTv4oh4HBg3YOhDG5gESyfjIYPf
Yd2U40MUUPh91p7W8q.NDYhsbGIeKNU9BENeFVTDRWANriCOc1h+Wvs4TAOx
UTVAIvsDorWgiVjCjjrHezDPyKkiKGjjxRfFgyQDCCikKXnfhPLHQJ3QlUPo
CZLBOvrL1nBqXZjsXBhU92IV4YSrT1oKgQVEyi0vxPCo7+Mjkd9HK4jLKbrh
OEkjOcl8zWH1zps96Cgi3gaIfqA8cLt6MtaPWCXcyd6ZcFDKq.6fKC6gnAAn
eO4OHIAoMlt1cpGxdDLEI7CZq0rIqpYiFsVYgKZLp5qSNN0wN6UXZ9IQJZ3F
XXCRZIsnffIEBAgSoPPyvR+2DmXAmOMeM+E+9juRMN8gEnW++fBor+Cup3GK
Y8w5vxD5E44FcmyTG1L+BqHQilFyNa+ING2MDTe.9yexx61g8Kvp1V3Lwt9g
D8ErM51F6ymxk.3XruH1GNG0LLj3QdIJKfgNf.1aCgXxgbdR+nA52Vu2DnYP
wmsdWG1oVCHArgLlWgczWdAXvuQwF6n.
-----------end_max5_patcher-----------
</code></pre>

Hi,

One important precision : spat5.align~ is not a replacement for spat5.spat~.
spat5.align~ can be used in addition to spat5.spat~, in order to align/compensate the loudspeaker setup (in terms of propagation delays and gains).
For instance, your preset2 is kind of ellipse-shaped; spat5.align~ will compensate the different speaker distances so that it behaves as if they were on a circle.
See spat5.tuto-alignment-1.maxpat for further information.

Hope this helps,
T.