< Back to IRCAM Forum

Petit problème Tosca/Oscar vers Reaper

Salut,

Il y a 9 mois, j’ai spacialié une pièce. Une vingtaine de pistes stéréo partaient dans Panoramix via Jack et Tosca assurait le déplacement dans l’espace. Tout fonctionnait bien, c’était formidable.

Aujourd’hui, je me suis dit qu’il serait judicieux de l’exporter en format encodé pour ne pas la perdre. Avec les MAJ des différents softs, il va se trouver un moment où cela ne fonctionnera plus. Mais… ça ne fonctionne plus. En fait, Tosca (ou Oscar vu que j’ai essayé avec les deux) envoie en permanence des infos, même quand il n’y a pas de mouvement. Panoramix se met à saturer de messages, puis plante. Les speedlim dans Tosca et Panoramix ne solutionnant pas le problème.

Je ne comprends pas ce qui a changé. J’aurais tendance a penser que c’est une MAJ de Reaper mais pas sûr. Ou alors un simple paramètre de Reaper que j’ai changé sans faire exprès.

C’est un problème à l’export de cette pièce, mais aussi pour la création des suivantes.

Quelles sont mes options ?

Merci d’avance & bonne soirée.
Christophe

Hello Christophe,

Depuis toujours :

Tosca (ou Oscar qui est, en fait, le nouveau nom de ToscA) envoie en permanence de l’OSC, même quand il n’y a pas de mouvement…

Peut-etre un problème Spat ? La spatialisation est CPU-phage…

Il faut passer a OSCar qui fonctionne mieux que ToscA, de facon plus fluide

Pour Spat, il y a eu des changements majeurs avec la 5.0.9… downgrade to 5.0.8 ?

Forumnet Legacy here : Archives

cheers

Jerome

Salut,

Le lien vers Forumnet Legacy ci dessus est HS et j’aimerais, en effet, downgrader spat car je n’ai toujours pas trouvé de solution à mon problème ce qui devient assez embêtant. Actuellement, chaque utilisation de Panoramix + Tosca à plus de 5 plug Tosca envoie le CPU de Panoramix à plus de 200%…

Merci d’avance & bonne journée.
C

Hello,

Avec le nouveau site forum, j’avoue ne pas savoir où sont toutes les archives.
Les derniers binaires disponibles sont ici :
https://forum.ircam.fr/projects/releases/spat/
Dis-moi s’il n’y a pas la version que tu cherches, et j’essaierai de l’y rajouter.

T.

V 5.0.8 ???

:slight_smile:

L’ancienne version (5.0.8) est désormais disponible: https://forum.ircam.fr/projects/releases/spat/

Salut !

I just have some news and I’ll continue in english if it can help.

During this period of calm, due to the virus, we took the time to mix HOA recordings and try things. We also receive a new computer with crazy specifications, so it was the time to try again to solve our troubles between Reaper, OSCar and Panoramix.

First, OSCar never stop to send messages when Reaper is stop. So there is a trick to solve this. Instead of using space bar to run Reaper, I create 2 simple “custom actions”. Like :

Play >
Track: Unbypass FX on all tracks
Transport: Play

Stop >
Transport: Stop
Track: Bypass FX on all tracks

I guess it can make some things we don’t want like cutting reverb or long time effects. It’s possible to improve this custom actions by just bypass one FX at a time (OSCar). Or maybe there a preference in Reaper who do it even simply. But I didn’t find it and it works find for me.

Even with this, the new computer and long time speedlim, the problem stay. The complete saturation of Panoramix OSC input, and then, the crash. At the same time all the tracks seem to react the same, even if the Panoramix Max Console received messages looks OK. So I tried a lot of things, as always, by changing randomly parameters… And it finally works.

I think, but I’m not sure, that the problem come from the fact I copy and past the same track with OSCar in Reaper. At the beginning I checked with one track and it works. So I duplicated it 24 times, reassign each OSCar one by one to different IDs and it didn’t work anymore. But, if I remove OSCar from tracks and add it again, it works. So I think the problem is located around this. I mean the duplication of OSCar plugin.

But, there was still a problem. Always to much messages seemed the make Panoramix slower with the speedlim at 5ms on OSCar and 0ms on Panoramix. And it finally worked when I put a small speelim time on Panoramix input. Like 3ms. It’s a small one but it changed everything. From really slow to perfectly fluid.

So everything looks OK for us now. I will tell you if it’s really the case or if I’m just too enthusiastic today.

@Thibaut : je crois que j’ai trouvé un petit bug qui n’a rien de très embêtant. Si j’ai plusieurs stereo tracks, que j’active le groupe all stereo et que je les envoie toutes dans un bus en même temps, le bus choisi s’affiche bien dans chaque case bus send sur chaque tranche, mais l’envoie ne se fait pas. Il faut le faire manuellement, tranche par tranche.

Tschüss
Christophe

1 Like

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for the feedback.

• The “custom actions” trick for Reaper is a great idea ! Thanks for sharing.

• Regarding the “all stereo” bus send bug you mentioned : that seems to work OK for me, with the latest version.
    Can you provide more details on how to reproduce the issue ?

• Using a speedlim of 3ms seems reasonable.
    Still, I would be curious to investigate the crashes that you mentioned (after a complete saturation). Can you send the corresponding crashlogs please ?

• I don’t see any specific issue with duplicating the OSCar plugin (compared to creating tracks one by one)… But I’ll keep on digging.

Best,
T.

Hey,

So give you sone answers.

• First, for the custom action, even if you don’t ask, it’s possible to improve it a little bit by making a cycle action. Wish need the extention SWS. Like this you only need one botton (like spacebar) to play and stop. And the top is to assign it to a midi controler like a BCF, like this you don’t even have to switch all the time between Reaper and Panoramix.
IF
1007		Play
1016		Stop
40342		Bypass FX on all tracks
ELSE
1007		Play
40343		Unbypass FX on all tracks
ENDIF
  • For the second bug, I can’t reproduce it… I’m sure that happened. Certainly in a very specific configuration, but I was not in a “beta tester” mood, and I didn’t make any backup. I’ll be more focus next time !

• For the Speedlim, I send you a screen capture via MP.

• For the last bug, it’s also hard to explain. Refer to second point… I’ll tell you if I reproduce it “clearly”.

Tschüss
Christophe

Thanks for the detailed information and the screen capture.
Let me know if you manage to reproduce the bugs/crashes in the future.

Best,
T.