< Back to IRCAM Forum

Panoramix and Tosca

Hello
I’ve an issue for communication between Tosca and Panoramix. If i want to move the azimuth for exemple, i need an osc message like this one : /track/1/azim x
But, tosca send the index of parameter with the osc message.
So it make :
/1//track/1/azim x
or with invert syntax :
/1//track/1/azim x
How can I correctly format the OSC message ?
Thanks !
G.

Hey G.!

It is already discussed in:
http://forumnet.ircam.fr/user-groups/spat/forum/topic/panoramix-released/

Cheers FKN

Indeed, FKN pointed you to the right direction.
Also, a new version of ToscA is in the pipe… Just a little patience.

T.

Hello,
Does anyone have suggestions for using Tosca in Reaper to send OSC to Panoramix.
It works sometimes with a single Panoramix sometimes, but it takes a lot of trial and error to make OSC communication work.
Thank you!
Neil
Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 5.57.59 PM

Hello Neil,

Sorry for the inconvenience.
First of all : ToscA is deprecated, and you should instead use its successor OSCar.
As briefly discussed in OSCar user manual, you’ll have to edit the “oscar.xml” configuration file, in order to specify which parameters you want to control. Please give it a try, and let us know how it goes (and if you face difficulties, please provide more details so that we can help you more efficiently)

Best,
T.

I greatly appreciate your advice! I have downloaded oscar, read the manual and have these questions:

How should I remap the “param1”, “param2”, “param3”, etc, parameters for the new oscar.xml file?
Should do create entries for these params in the oscar.xml file, like this:

OLD TOSCA PARAMETERS / XML FILE

What I do see in the old ToscA XML file is simply:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

The ToscA tracks in the existing Reaper session use parameter names: “param1”, “param2”, “param3”, etc, but does not declare them in the XML file that sits in the folder with the reaper session.

NEW OSCAR XML FILE

Should I add the “param1”, “param2”, “param3”, etc to this adapted oscar.xml file?

Thank you for your guidance.

Best, Neil

Hello Neil,

I should mention that OSCar (and ToscA) is a general purpose tool. Therefore, it is your responsibility to adapt it to your needs, i.e. to declare which parameters you want to control (in Panoramix, or other OSC-aware tool).

Let’s assume you want to control the following 3 Track parameters in Panoramix :
trim level, LFE level, and distance. You’d need to edit the oscar.xml file, and write the following :

<oscar version="1.0">	
    <parameter index="1" name="trim" pattern="/track/$1/trim" min="-80" max="30" default="0"/>
    <parameter index="2" name="lfe" pattern="/track/$1/lfe/send" min="-80" max="30" default="0"/>
    <parameter index="3" name="distance" pattern="/track/$1/dist" min="0.1" max="100" default="1"/>
</oscar>

The ‘index’ determine the order the parameters appear in the Digital Audio Workstation
‘name’ is the label of parameter, as it will appear in your Digital Audio Workstation
‘pattern’ is the OSC address pattern used to communicate with this parameter to/from the outside world
‘min’, ‘max’, and ‘default’ specify the minimum, maximum, and default values of the parameter

‘$1’ will be automatically replaced by the ID of the current plugin instance, i.e. the OSCar plugin with ID 1 will control track #1 in Panoramix, the OSCar plugin with ID 2 will control track #2 in Panoramix, etc.

It’s up to you to add other parameters (that you wish to automate) in the same fashion.

After edition of the file, you probably need to restart your Digital Audio Workstation to make sure the OSCar plugin(s) get updated accordingly.

Does that help ?

Best,
T.

Thank you for your detailed explanation!
With your advice, I was able to update the Reaper project using OSCar.

Best, Neil