< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM MIDI player

I have several old MIDI player for OpenMusic, created by Max, but nowadays all of them don’t work more.
How can I get a playback now?

Dear Takuya,

Yes they will not work since they are outdated.
What you can possibly use (free) is vmpk. Here is a link:

Or better use fluidsynth:

You can use also whatever virtual synth, Kontakt, etc…

BEst
K

Thank you Karim!
Now I installed Fluidsynth.
How can I find the path of .sf2 files in my own Mac, instead of your settings indicated
/users/haddad/DEV/openmusic/
etc.?
T

Are you using OM 7.4?

yes, now I am using OM 7.4 on MacOS 13.6.4 with Intel Mac 2017 Late model.

And you still have this faulty error?
Maybe you are using an old workspace, in this case please open the preferences, and click on the restore… button. You will have the correct location of the sf2.
If not you can still download the default sf2 from here:

(clic on the download icon on the topright).

Best
K

Dear Karim,
Finally it sounds now! Thank you very much.
Now the only problem is, it sounds only 1/2 chromatic, but not 1/4 or 1/8 microtone. I wanted to install the player because I want to hear the microtone…
The setup seems ok for microtones in the OM preferences, but maybe I forgot anything?
T

No problem,

Just use this:
Screenshot_2024-04-15_17-54-37

And here is a patch with everything needed:
fluid-tutorial-10.omp (39.6 KB)
Best
K

Dear Karim,
I typed fl-microtune but it doesn’t appear. Maybe it needs a library?
Also I couldn’t open your patch appearing a dialog; An error of type illegal-type-specifier occurred: fl-pan is an illegal type specifier.
How to fix it?
T

This means you are not using OM 7.4 version

Until now I have used OM 7.4 which you gave me on the other thread, with the date of file 03-12-2023.
I downloaded now OM 7.4 from the official download page which is written as the filename 29-02-2024.
Now it appears new icons of fluidsynth, and when I evaluated fl-microtone, it sounds microtones! I think everything is ok now.
Sometimes OM didn’t launch, and when I restart OS and launch OM at first, it works. It seems because of this falsed-7.4?
Thank you!
T

By the way, where can I get fluid-tutorials? The filename seems 10, so there should be more.
I opened the application file and saw the inside folders, but I couldn’t find it (them) in Tutorials folder.