< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM crashes systematically on Ubuntu 21.10

Dear Karim

Thanks again for all the help.

I followed some of your instructions:

Reinstalled libcanberra-gtk-module
Uninstalled and cleaned traces from OM 6.2 and 7.1 from my machine
Installed OM 7.1 again

I can say that the canberra-module message is no more showing on terminal up while using OM.

And I experienced for the first time a long period of use without crashes.

But then they have just begun to happen again, and I was able to replicate the crashes by clicking on the inlets to edit its values on a cluster-engine object in the patch attached.

The message that showed up at the right moment of the last of these repeated crashes is:

Warning: G-domain : nil, level 16: invalid source position for vertical gradientX-IO-ERROR on ":0 {Lispworks}" : Fatal IO error 11 ("Resource temporarily unavailable") Xlib: request 10 length 24 would exceed buffer size.

!!!!!Wrote error log to /home/priosfilho/logs/LispWorks/openmusic-log at 2022/10/23 00:09:09
Xlib: request 40 length 16 would exceed buffer size.

Error: Segmentation violation(11) [code 0] at 7F7712F106A1
        Foreign code offset #x71 from symbol "XTranslateCoordinates"
        module "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6" [ #x7F7712ECA000 ]
rax            0 ; rbx            0 ; rcx 7F7718924A6F ; rdx            0
rsp 7F7702FF8910 ; rbp            0 ; rdi 7F770C0476F0 ; rsi 7F7702FF8920
r8            35 ; r9  7F7702FF6666 ; r10            0 ; r11          293
r12          824 ; r13      3001727 ; r14 7F770C0476F0 ; r15 7F7702FF89B0
  1 (continue) Remove display-callback from #<patchpanel  41B018725B>
  2 (abort) Return to event loop.

Type :b for backtrace or :c <option number> to proceed.
Type :bug-form "<subject>" for a bug report template or :? for other options.

OpenMusic 1 : 1 > Killed

Patch that was in use during last crashes:
008e-polyphonic-pitch-rules 2.omp (386.2 KB)

Log file:
openmusic-log (272.4 KB)

Hope this helps! Thanks again.

Dear Paulo,

Are tooltips option checked in your OM preferences? If yes, please uncheck, save workspace and relaunch.

Hi Karim,

It was already unchecked.

Can you try with the first two options checked (Handle error messages and enable evaluation Process).

Then can you send me your workspace in order to see whatā€™s wrong. It might be ok and it can be a customized feature you had on your OS, i donā€™t really get it. I tested your patch and it is still ok on the Ubuntu 22

Best
K

Will try with that two options checked, then.

I donā€™t think that the problem is workspace related because I have tested with different ones and the crashes were persistent across them.

But I send attached the one Iā€™m working on currently.
trio-russia-zip.zip (1.0 MB)

I have been using Ubuntu 20.04 until last week when I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04. Just after upgrading, I installed OM and the problem begun to show up. I donā€™t think I customized anything in Ubuntu since thenā€¦ The only thing I did was to change from Wayland to Xorg windowing system from the login screenā€™s cog, but when I did that I had already experienced the crashes.

Thank you, Karim!

Just to add that the crashes keep happening after checking Handle Error and Enable Evaluation only on General Preferences.

Sorry for the overposting, but I just want to add also that the popup with an error message continues to show up on the initialization of OM 7.1. The message is: ā€œERROR: In 1- of (nil) arguments should be of type number.ā€ I can just close the popup and continue using OM normally, yet maybe it refers somehow to the crashes, I donā€™t knowā€¦

Ok Paulo,

Thanks for reporting back. I will try to see whatā€™s wrong here. It could be the new veraion of gnome and its lib. I will send your crash report to LW team. It could be LW related.

Best
K

Thank you, Karim. Please let me know if you find somethingā€¦ In the meantime, Iā€™m trying to work piece-by-piece between crashes. Will also consider installing another distro, perhaps Ubuntu is the problem.

By the way, always with hope that a new info can help clarify what the problem could be, Iā€™ve noticed a new message on Terminal when the last crashes happened (OM 6.2, this time):

[xcb] Unknown request in queue while dequeuing
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
openmusic: ../../src/xcb_io.c:175: dequeue_pending_request: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_unknown_req_in_deq' failed.

All best,
Paulo

Hi Paulo.

Will also consider installing another distro, perhaps Ubuntu is the problem.

Perhaps i could suggest testing with Fedora? It could help narrowing in since I develop code on Fedora, and i beleive Karims main platform is Ubuntu. (No, Karim?)

1 Like

@anders
No i use mainly Debian. (Ubuntu is a Debian based distro). But i am afraid it is not due to a distro, but maybe to GNome. However, teste it on fedora and it works also.
Did you have an issue on Fedora?

Best
K

Hi Karim and @anders

I just changed the window system to KDE-Plasma yet on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. The crashes continue to happen, unfortunately.

Anders, I will maybe try first to run OM through a live Fedora flash drive - I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible to run Fedora like this, as we do with Ubuntu.

Iā€™ll let you know what happen then.

Thanks!

Hi,

It should be possible to run Fedora from a live usb flash, I have used this method, time ago, to verify new versions before installing them. Perhaps here some useful information:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-and-using-a-live-installation-image/

Best

Fabio

1 Like

Dear Paulo,

Before getting into installing another distrib, can you just try running OM in a different window manager, such as xfce4. You can install it on your ubuntu then reboot, and choose this WM. Maybe things will get better. I suspect something that has to do with Gnome WM.

BEst
K

Dear Karim

Yes, as I said one or two days ago, Iā€™ve changed it to KDE Plasma and the problem persists. Will try xfce4 in the next days, then.

Thank you!

Yes I have read this. Both KDE plasma and Gnome are heavy weight window managers. That is why i am proposing to try with xfce in order to see where the problem lies, since i cannot reproduce your problem and i don;t know if it comes from your installation or indeed a bug in LW/OM.

Best
K

1 Like

Dear Paulo,

Ok, Finally succeded into getting your problem so no need to install whatever. However here, OM freezes instead of crash. I suspect something to do with your patches. I will investigate.

Best
K

Dear Karim

Ok, thank you very much for the help!

Maybe itā€™s important for you to know that I am probably using the wrong terminology all this time: my OM freezes and I am asked to ā€œForce Quitā€. It doesnā€™t crash instantaneously.

Also maybe is important to tell you that OM froze the entire system once or twice among these errors.

Finally, I would like to report that I am using the same patches without error on another machine (at my University department) on Windows 11. No freezes (or crashes or whatever). Also, Iā€™ve experienced OM freezing with other patches too, besides that one Iā€™ve sent.

Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks!

Dear Paulo,

Thanx for reporting this. I think it might be a combination of new libraries in gtk, and more. Can you just test this: Create new patches and start working with them to see if it happens. I noticed that moving around the boxes in old patches are very slow, but not when you create a new one. I donā€™t know if it is a virtual machine issue or not. Just to be sure,
Best
K

Dear Karim

I believe that now I have done tests enough to confirm to you that the freezing doesnā€™t happen on a fresh patch with no copy-and-paste objects from old patches saved on past workspaces or tutorials and stuff.

Will try now to mess around this new workspace creating patches with copied objects from former projectsā€¦ then with imported patches from old workspaces to see if OM start freezing again.

Iā€™ll let you know.

In the meantime, assuming that the problem really is the combination of OM old patches (or objects) and Ubuntu 22.04, do you think there would be a workaround? Or I will probably be better starting works on OM from point zero from now on? (at least while using Ubuntuā€¦)

Thank you very much! I really appreciate all the attention given to this, so far.

Paulo