< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM 7.3 freezing on ubuntu 22.04

I am using wayland on my VM, i think Ubuntu puts this by default.
I will try to reproduce your crashes but i am not sure to succeed.

Best
K

Will test on X.
The crashes happen when creating empty boxes with double-click or crtl-click. Sometimes also when trying to edit lists in an box. The position of the boxes doesn’t matter I think, but I will observe.
Thanks for trying to reproduce!

ok it is essentially good to know. Probably comes from here.
Will investigate.
When doing so (creating a tty box, enpty boxes) this call the terminal. So It might be a problem with accessing your term environment. Do you use Bash (the default)?.

Yes, I’m using bash.

This is absolutely normal. I did a work session under Ubuntu 22.04 and didn’t have any crashes yet. some questions:

1. How do you launch Om, dbl click on the app icon or call it from the terminal?
  2. can you provide the preferences.lisp file of your workspace?

Just trying to see why this happens to you. Suspecting something custom in your environment, but not sure.

Best
K

Just wondered if it is the same issue as here:

https://discussion.forum.ircam.fr/t/om-crashes-systematically-on-ubuntu-21-10/31446/37

I launched om form the terminal right now and when crashing, it gives (the german part meaning “resource currently not available”):

Warning: G-domain : nil, level 16: invalid source position for vertical gradienttyping:
X-IO-ERROR on “:0 {Lispworks}” : Fatal IO error 11 (“Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar”)

Yes, will provide a preferences.lisp in few minutes…
best phil

preferences.lisp (3.4 KB)

Yes for the above,

It is related to resources apparently. Did you customize the look of your gnome?

No, nothing customized.

I am having the same problem. OM 7.3 running on Pop!_OS (Ubuntu derivative.) I have tried disabling tooltips and tried both X and Wayland as my graphics systems. I also tried deleting and re-creating my workspace. Pop!_Os does use a highly customized Gnome shell although I didn’t do any of the customizations myself.

I just tried OM 7.3 again with evaluation process disabled. This time, it froze almost immediately and hung up my entire system. The fans kicked up on high and the entire desktop GUI was completely locked up. I’ve attached my preferences.lisp file.
preferences.lisp (3.5 KB)

Dear matyas,

I don’t have this os installed. So I cannot test it. But apparently it is a Gnome problem. Can you just test it on a different window manager, say like a lightweight xfce?

Best
K

Dear Karim,

I got similar problems. I’ve experience this in Ubuntustudio, Kubuntu and now in L Mint Xfce.

best,
rc

Hi all,

Can you check please if Liberation font is installed on your system?

Dear Karim,

running

apt list fonts-liberation*

on terminal i got this:

fonts-liberation2/jammy,jammy,now 2.1.5-1 all [installed]
fonts-liberation/jammy,jammy,now 1:1.07.4-11 all [installed]

best,
rc

Hi everybody,

Ok i will retest on my vm (ubuntu 22.04) and will try to reproduce the problem. I didn’t succeed to at first???
And if it is still not working for you, be patient, the new version 7.4 is going to be released pretty soon hoping it will work.

Best
K

Hello,
I also ran apt list fonts-liberation* and got the same output:
fonts-liberation2/jammy,jammy,now 2.1.5-1 all [installed,automatic]
fonts-liberation/jammy,jammy,now 1:1.07.4-11 all [installed,automatic]

Which is what I expected since Pop!_OS is mostly built on Ubuntu packages. Looking forward to 7.4. I am happy to test anything in the meantime.

I’m wondering if this issue might be related to something fairly deep in LispWorks. I tried running OpenMusic from the command line and got the following error on the terminal:

X-IO-ERROR on “:1 {Lispworks}” : Fatal IO error 11 (“Resource temporarily unavailable”)

For comparison, I tried running OM# to see if it would be more stable on my system, and I saw identical behavior, with an identical error message. (Note: I realize that this forum isn’t the place to get help for OM#, I just thought it was interesting that I was seeing the same behavior with the same error on both programs.)

Thanx matyas in pointing in the right direction. apparently it is a X resource problem.
However it is strange i am testing this on a VM Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and cannot reproduce the problem.
Maybe you should be sure to have ALL dependencies installed: libsndfile1, libportmidi0, libsamplerate0, libgtk2.0-0, gtk2-engines-murrine, libcanberra-gtk-module, fontconfig, mime-support, desktop-file-utils, libcurl4

Which i am sure you have, specially gtk2-engines-murrine, libcanberra-gtk-module,

Best
K
PS: retesting now again.