< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM 7.2 (and 7.3) not responsive

Ok, my OM class is over. It went well, but I had to bring an iMac to teach OM. It stopped working on my laptop again, and could never get it to launch.

Has there been any progress? I’d still like to use it! (though definitely not as urgent)

ratox - I just checked your thing about exposé - I don’t see a ghost dialog box when I invoke exposé. Could still be the same issue though…

Dear Per,

I don’t know exactly where/what is the problem, since this appears to be on certain configuration/machine/os.
Can you please (sorry) re-iterate the problem, giving details on:

1. which OM version (by the way does this happen on 7.0 ?)
  2. Machine, memory os?
  3. are you using an extra display screen?
    etc.

the best is to send me a log.
I suspect that it seems to happen only on certain configuration.

For my part, i have two machines:
Intel on Ventura and M1 on Monterey, and they both are running correctly.
If i can reproduce your problem, i will be able to see where this problem lies, (notorization, code, LW issue, OS issue, etc.)

For the time being i am in the dark here.

Best
K

Hi Karim,

Yeah, sorry if this turns out to be something weird with my machine alone. I can’t imagine what that would be, but always a possibility I suppose…

1. I’m using the build you passed on - 7.3, from the installer OM-7.3-macOS-M1-24-06-2023.dmg. I did try OM 7.0 (which I still have) and it’s the same behavior.
  2. MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2018, 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 on Ventura Version 13.4.1 (c) (22F770820d).
  3. I often do use an external display, but it still happens when that external display is disconnected.

As for a log, yes, does seem like a good way to go. Any advice on what would be most useful?

Thanks again!
Per

Actually - progress! I’m now consistently getting a graphicsPort error when I:

• don’t connect to an external monitor
  • restart
  • launch 7.3 (7.0 still just freezes)

The log produced by Terminal says:

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.
For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.
Macintosh:~ mus$ /var/tmp/lwtemp_Macintosh_14450kWUXVK.command ; exit;

“Loading PortMIDI library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libportmidi.dylib”
“Loading SDIF library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDIF.dylib”
“Loading libsndfile library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libsndfile.dylib”
“Loading libsamplerate library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libsamplerate.dylib”
“Loading OM Audio library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/omaudiolib.dylib”
NIL
“Loading fluidsynth library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libfluidsynth.dylib”
#P"libfluidsynth.dylib"
; Loading text file /Users/mus/Library/Preferences/OpenMusic/7.3/OMPrefs.lisp
; Loading text file /Users/mus/Documents/Data/OM-SPLICE-space/preferences.lisp
; Loading text file /Users/mus/Documents/Data/OM-SPLICE-space/wsparams.lisp
APPLYING PREFERENCES…

“No MIDI devices detected”
“MIDI: Restoring state from preferences…” Audio Setup…
Audio driver: CoreAudio
Selecting default device: BlackHole 16ch
Initializing audio channels (0x2)
Audio Setup…
Selected device: Display Audio
=> not found in available devices: (BlackHole 16ch BlackHole 2ch MacBook Pro Speakers Crestron Audio Microsoft Teams Audio Record It Audio Device ZoomAudioDevice Multi-Output Device)

Error: Invoking a method “graphicsPort” on a null pointer.
1 (abort) Return to Cocoa Event Loop

Type :b for backtrace or :c to proceed.
Type :bug-form “” for a bug report template or :? for other options.

OpenMusic 1 : 1 >

Dear Per,

Thank you for your feedback.
In fact you are not the only one to have this problem.
I have indeed, another user who reported this issue. and what it seems that he is using also blackhole device (driver?).
It could be that the audiolib is having trouble with this.
Can you, for the sake of debuging:

1. uninstall balckhole,
  2. reboot,
  3. remove preferences.lisp from your workspace, or create a new one.

Just to see if this is the main issue here.

BEst
K

Karim,
Unfortunately no good news to report. I uninstalled blackhole, restarted, and tried both deleting prefs from an existing workspace and creating a new one (after an additional restart), all without any monitor connected. Same results as before: it just stops creating windows or allowing me to do anything after the workspace dialog. It didn’t create a terminal log or throw an error as it had the last few times I launched.
Let me know if there is some other mechanism for creating a useful log for you.
Thx!
Per

Dear Per,

What is strange is that you have the same issue as Yan Maresch.
Do you share the same patches?
I am wondering also if it is a ram issue. On my computers iheve on both 32 g of ram.
Both of you have 16. So, it might be also this.

Another question doyou have omsharp installed?

K

Karim,

Interesting! To answer your questions:

• Do you share the same patches?
    No, I wrote all my patches myself, and don’t believe I’ve shared them at all.

• Another question doyou have omsharp installed?
    No, I don’t recall every installing that, if I did it was uninstalled ages ago.

• I am wondering also if it is a ram issue.
    This is interesting. I’m starting to think it’s a combo of multiple problems. When I restart my machine, make sure it’s disconnected from an external monitor, and make sure I launch OM before anything else (specifically Chrome, which is such a hog!), I again get the graphicsPort error. Which is progress!

Since I uninstalled blackhole, the resulting log is a little different:
Last login: Fri Jul 28 11:22:52 on console

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.
For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.
Macintosh:~ mus$ /var/tmp/lwtemp_Macintosh_16090xl3E5m.command ; exit;

“Loading PortMIDI library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libportmidi.dylib”
“Loading SDIF library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDIF.dylib”
“Loading libsndfile library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libsndfile.dylib”
“Loading libsamplerate library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libsamplerate.dylib”
“Loading OM Audio library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/omaudiolib.dylib”
NIL
“Loading fluidsynth library: /Applications/OM 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks/libfluidsynth.dylib”
#P"libfluidsynth.dylib"
; Loading text file /Users/mus/Library/Preferences/OpenMusic/7.3/OMPrefs.lisp
; Loading text file /Users/mus/Documents/Data/OM-Workspaces/preferences.lisp
; Loading text file /Users/mus/Documents/Data/OM-Workspaces/wsparams.lisp
APPLYING PREFERENCES…

“No MIDI devices detected”
“MIDI: Restoring state from preferences…” Audio Setup…
Selecting default device: MacBook Pro Speakers
Warning: Capturing attempt to throw out of drawRect:.
Error: Invoking a method “graphicsPort” on a null pointer.
1 (abort) Return to Cocoa Event Loop

Type :b for backtrace or :c to proceed.
Type :bug-form “” for a bug report template or :? for other options.

OpenMusic 1 : 1 >

Dear Per

Do you mean, the contrary no? that when you restart etc. OM launches well??

Anyhow i will try when i get back to Ircam in september after my summer break, to get my hands on a similar machine and try to reproduce all this. This is of course not guaranteed to reproduce, since, i suspect you did a clone of your old system on your new machine no?

I am sorry to bother you with all these questions, but it looks very similar to Yan’s configuration.
Anyhow what i suggest, that we keep in touch, and leave our messages personal, in order not to annoy and/or confuse all users here. So please do message me directly, so i can nail this annoying problem. :slight_smile:
Best
K

Yes, this sounds great! I will actually be at ircam sometime in the next few months for about a week. That might be a good opportunity if needed.

I’ll answer questions in another PM.

Hello,
I reopen this thread since I’m having a similar problem but can’t find a solution by reading here.

I am on MacBook Pro 2017 with OS Ventura 13.6.
When I launch OM 7.2 (or 7.3, found on another thread on the forum), it loads no windows.
To see windows I first have to show the lips listener, and then I have options to view my workspace.

All seems fine until I try to open preferences: it just appears to send OM in a loop and I have to force quit.
I see from previous messages here the hypothesis of it being a RAM-related thing: I also have 16gb

Latest stable version I can run is 6.20! Which is great, anyway. But thought it would be worth signalling.

Hi,

Please do deactivate the Dropbox extension and restart your computer. It is incompatible with OM

Best
K.

Hello,
Did it, but I still get the same behaviour…

Lorenzo

Did you restart the computer (reboot)?

Yes, computer has been restarted, but it still freezes when I try to open the preferences window, and the workspace does not load correctly.

This is from the lisp listener on 7.3 when I prompt “windows/workspace”:

OM > "ERROR: No applicable methods for #<standard-generic-function |OpenMusic|::showobjecteditor 80F0C8F1F4> with args (nil)

Call to om-lisp::om-error-handler
Call to invoke-debugger
Call to error
Call to cerror
Call to (method no-applicable-method (t))
Call to clos::apply-no-applicable-method
Call to capi::internal-funcall-using-callback-type
Call to capi::execute-callback
Call to capi::execute-callback-1
Call to capi:execute-with-interface
Call to (subfunction capi-cocoa-library::|%FOREIGN-CALLABLE/CAPI_COCOA_LIBRARY MENU_REPRESENTATION ObjC instance method _CAPIMenuItemSelected:| (fli:define-foreign-callable “CAPI_COCOA_LIBRARY MENU_REPRESENTATION ObjC instance method _CAPIMenuItemSelected:”))
Call to objc::|invoke (FUNCTION (OBJC-OBJECT-POINTER SEL) VOID)|
Call to (subfunction 2 objc::make-invoke-function)
Call to objc::invoke-into*
Call to capi-cocoa-library::run-cocoa-event-loop
Call to mp::process-sg-function
Call to mp::run-main-process-once
Call to mp::multiprocessing-main-loop
Call to mp::shared-initialize-multiprocessing
"

Prompting to load preferences now loads a empty preferences window.

Ok
I am preparing an official release of OM 7.3
If you care to test it will forward an image. Are you on M1/2 or Intel?

Oh that would be actually amazing!
I’m on intel, OS 13.6.

You’ll let me know if there is a way I can send you any system logs.

Dear zenoor-13,

Here you are:

Please report back if you find issues.

Best
K