< Back to IRCAM Forum

Nested Tuplets in OpenMusic: Is There a Breaking Point?

Hi,

In my attempts at making a parsimonious rhythm sequencer in OM which allows me to write rhythm as I intend it (i.e., an interpreter-friendly representation of complex rhythms), it seems I hit a limit in how many tuplets I can nest inside other tuplets. Beyond the sixth generation of nested tuplets I can no longer see them in the score — I’ve attached two screenshots below to illustrate this:

When it comes to nested tuplets in OM, is there an actual limit that I should be mindful of?

Any hints or insights on this issue would be much appreciated.

All the best,
António

Hi Antonio,

Very interesting issue. I can’t tell you if this is a “graphic” limitation or else. Can you send the Rhythm Tree, or better the voice, or even the patch so i can check this out?

best
K

Hi Karim,

Thank you. It seems the issue comes after the seventh, not the sixth generation. Here are the tree and the voice:

(5/4 (((5 8) ((5 ((2 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 1 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1 (2 (1 1 1)))))) ((5 8) ((5 ((2 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 (1 1 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1)) 1 (2 (1 1 1))))))))

VOICE.omi (13.4 KB)

I need some time to repatch it with OM’s native functions and native class n-cercle (I used this class instead for the patch: Circle, an Alternative to OM's n-cercle), but I’ll gladly share the patch later if you want.

All the best,
António

Dear Antonio,

So here is the status (or what I believe the reason of this limitation):

It is not graphic, since this is possible:

I strongly think that in your embedded subdivision you reach a duration zero:
Screenshot_2021-11-17_21-53-08

And since there is no negative time possible (yet :smile: ) the subdivisions stop there at this time zero.

So you reached the impossible! you should file this as a record ! :slight_smile:

BEst
K

1 Like

Difference without repetition… The holy grail. Unfortunately, it seems I remain trapped in this mortal coil somehow.

All the best,
António

1 Like