< Back to IRCAM Forum

How to use SPAT as a VST?

Hi,

is there any way to get SPAT to work as a VST, similar to as it was with Spat v3? Unfortunately that plugin has been removed from the Ircam tools and is not available any more.

It would be very useful for music composers, Spat Revolution is not really an option as it is too complex and expensive.

Thanks,
Lorenzo

Hello Lorenzo,

Nice to read from you here. I am Hugo with the FLUX:: Immersive team, the Ircam software partner and makers of the Ircam Tools. Indeed it is unfortunate that we weren’t able to maintain SPAT as a pure plugin and a major reason for this was DAW resource limitations, internal routing complexity and consistency across all formats.

An external rendering can indeed be a more complex option to deploy but this offloading (offloading outside the DAW or often offloading to a dedicated machine) is the only way to guarantee performance and provide the processing capabilities that we are looking for in today’s immersive production. And recommended scenario for many rendering tools. Yes, some things are possible within a DAW but when you look at larger sessions, a large number of plugin tools use, people adding video track to sessions, it becomes difficult to expect the same ecosystem - workstation doing the rendering processing.

We have released SPAT Revolution Essential in 2021 to bring the essential features at a better price point (as well as to provide easier access for indie creators, composers, education, and more)

We hope to keep bringing out workflow options to ease the integration. Something we have attempted with SPAT Revolution Essential and the setup wizard and more templates.

The closest thing that we currently have in DAW is the VERB, which sits between reverberation and spatialization and can be inserted on busses all the way to 16 channels (support for Atmos included). Incoming signal panning generates localized reflections like in the SPAT world.

Hope this makes sense to you. Feel free to reach in PM

Cheers,
Hugo

Hi @lollo

If you use Ableton Live, you can give a look to xp4l, a reduction of spat~ working on the library and implemented in the m4l environnement. However Ableton remains away from spatial audio in general, xp in that environnement offers nonetheless some creative potential for real time performance and 3d audio design. It’s not vst based, but max based :wink:

Update 1.11 is coming up supporting cross system macOS and windowsOS.

best.

www.xp4l.com

Hi Lorenzo,

Both Apple’s Logic Pro X and Steinberg’s Nuendo 11 offer native implementations of Spatial Audio (Dolby Atmos, to be precise.) Of these two, Logic Pro X is clearly the one which offers by far the easiest implementation for the less technically literate composer.

All the best,
António

@antonioflorenca

well as we are in the spat forum, i have to share my disagreement. Not on what can do logic vs nuendo, but the type of spatial audio they are capable of. Such spatial audio implementations are only let’s say 360 “panner”, it is in my perception a poor version of what spatial sound can offer for composition and design in general. Dolby/Apple is a well done industrial ‘coup’, not a creative solution. While spat~ offers true 3d audio, in the way that it creates a 3d environnement with depth/reflection/reverberation. I don’t know any daw that have implemented such level of quality, and certainly not dolby.

1 Like

Hi Éric,

There’s no disagreement between us, I agree with everything you just said. Dolby Atmos is for the most part a glorified panner and licensing/branding scheme. I even introduced this very issue here on the Forum, and said as much: IRCAM Spat vs Dolby Atmos Production Suite

All the best,
António

1 Like

@antonioflorenca

Oh sorry then, we are totally in the same page here! :slight_smile:

For this, Panoramix remains the reference… it’s the original Spat Revolution code… you just have to make a VBAP bus, for example, with speakers that you can configure like a Dolby model.

Panoramix exists in Max for Live device since more than two years, it’s PanoLive which works well with Spat 5.2.4…

PanoLive is free

No one can beat the druid at his game.

2 Likes