< Back to IRCAM Forum

Fluidsynth

Great,

Some basic info here:

Best
K

Really thanks!
Now i think i went through all the tutorial on the page, but still cannot hear the notes playing. I fixed also the problem Demos had (The sf2 file was pointed to your directory Karim) and downloaded the merlin one. I loaded the synths and still it plays nothing. Can you please tell me any advice? or something what could be wrong at the time ?

Dear Harmi,

First to be sure that it works:

1. Create a NEW VOICE or CHORD-SEQ object open it and play. If it sounds, then you are on the correct path!

If you are openning OLD tutorials, this is normal, you should change the editor’s player like so:

player

Best
K

I changed it all the time I wanted to hear the particular chord or so, but nothing sounded. Also when I created new object, even when I forced new player…
Now when u replied i tried it again and it did work. My understanding stops here but lets don’t touch it anymore :D. Really thank you Karim for your patience and fast reactions!

Wish u all the best!
Harmi

No worry,

Note: when you start OM again, (in this version 7.2) you will need again to go to preferences and load fluidsynth. In the upcoming version there will be an option to autoload fluid on startup.

Best
K

Dear all,
I am trying to install FluidSynth on a MacMini M2. OM 7.3 is working fine. I installed Fluidsynth via MacPort but I could not recognize it in OM. Then I tried to give the instruction in terminal via MacPort in order to fix the troubler. Terminal was inviting me to select the port311 both for Python and Python3. Anyway I was not able to solve the problem. Then I tried via homebrew; only after, scrolling all the messages, I saw Karim’s post saying that MacPort and Homebrew could go in conflict. I threw out MacPort but I do not think this is the right way to uninstall it. I tried so to give the command cd /Applicazioni/OM\ 7.3.app/Contents/Frameworks but the answer is that it does not find the file or directory.
Can you help me please?
Thanks in advance to everybody!

Dear Maurilio,

I think you could have better answers on the MacPorts forum, if there is any. Yes i think you did wrong to install both. One thing though you have to try, is reboot maybe?
and check your .zschrc .profile files if there a re still traces of Macports.
Another issue is that, the versions of fluidsynth in Macports and fluid synth are different.

BEst
K

Thanks Karim. I uninstalled MacPorts via Terminal and installed Fluidsynth via homebrew. It gave a positive response from Terminal. BUT, if I type Fluidsynth I have this asnwer:
FluidSynth runtime version 2.3.3

Copyright (C) 2000-2023 Peter Hanappe and others.

Distributed under the LGPL license.

SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of Creative Technology Ltd.

fluidsynth: error: fluid_sfloader_load(): Failed to open ‘/opt/homebrew/Cellar/fluid-synth/2.3.3/share/soundfonts/default.sf2’: File does not exist.

fluidsynth: error: Unable to open file ‘/opt/homebrew/Cellar/fluid-synth/2.3.3/share/soundfonts/default.sf2’

fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont “/opt/homebrew/Cellar/fluid-synth/2.3.3/share/soundfonts/default.sf2”

Type ‘help’ for help topics.

What to do?
Thanks

Hi again,

No i think the sf2 is not installed. But this is not a problem.
See this in this post:

You can dowload lot of sf2 from the web the one that is in OM is here:

Best
K

Sorry to return to this - I just updated OM.
It’s a well-trodden path:
fluidsyth in terminal gives

FluidSynth runtime version 2.3.0
Copyright (C) 2000-2022 Peter Hanappe and others.
Distributed under the LGPL license.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of Creative Technology Ltd.

Then I follow the 3-step process, but on step 3 I get:

ln: libfluidsynth.dylib: Operation not permitted

and a little window telling me that Terminal can’t control other apps (terminal doesn’t appear in the system settings/privacy etc/automation list of apps that can be given such permission).

help gratefully and humbly received
Jonathan

Dear Jonathan,

in step 3 you should make maybe a sudo before such as:

in a terminal:
1)
cd /Applications/OM\ 7.2.app/Contents/Frameworks
2)
rm libfluidsynth.dylib
3)
sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/libfluidsynth.3.1.3.dylib libfluidsynth.dylib

this will ask you your administrator password (your login).

Best
K

Thanks Karim - I sign in as su but same answer:
ln: libfluidsynth.dylib: Operation not permitted
Maybe it’s some obscure OS 13.3.1 security thing

Is there a way of putting the right files in the right place by hand?

Dear Jonathan,

ln is to create a symbolic link, and i don’t know if there is a another way to do so.
However, maybe try to go to system preferences->Privacy & Security
then choose full disk access and choose Terminal. this i think will do it. (maybe you should log out and then log in).
If not come back to me .

Best
K
Best