< Back to IRCAM Forum

Drop and radius control in spat5.ircamverb?

Hi

I am using the spat5.ircamverb objects instead of the spat5.spat~,
yet I would like to control the radius and drop of the reverb/sweetspot/overflow…
Is it possible to access the parameters in this object?

Now I’m am using this module with the random (trajectory) object
and it can flare a big volume boost when the objects are passing the center/zero point.
I would like to have more control, without needing to use the high computational spat5.spat~ object.

Clipping the 0 to 0.2 and -0.2 in the random (trajectory) object is also something, but it would leave it non-smooth.

Grt
Ewoud

Hi,

It’s not currently possible to access these parameters in spat5.ircamverb.
I will consider adding user access to these parameters in the future.

Meanwhile, one possible workaround is to use spat5.constraint, to help you clip the distance (using /dist/min/constraint). Although, admittedly, the behavior of such clipping is not always ideal… (another thing I’ll consider improving)

For now, be aware that the distance in spat5.ircamverb~ is, internally, clipped to 0.3m.

Cheers,
T.

Hi Thibaut,

I’d like to enter the discussion. Why did you choose 0.3m? Does this distance have a particular interest?

Best,

Jerome

Hi,
No particular reason. This is just a value that is “large” enough to (somehow) avoid strong boost for sounds close to 0.
Best,
T.

Thanks for the fast response! @tcarpent
I am very happy to know about these specs and a possibility for updating this feature to the object.
Any idea if it would maybe make the next version update?

Otherwise I wanted to ask you on the following - as I don’t find an option to set either the spread of the sources in VBAP or to set the panning type for the ircamverb~ to KNN (or anything else then vbap) - I am looking at the spat5 multiverb/reverb/early and cluster objects to find a efficient way of rendering my spatial mix live. Specifically to dynamically spread the reverberated sources throughout the speaker configuration (hence my interest in knn). Any notes or advice here?

I am very happy to know about these specs and a possibility for updating this feature to the object.
Any idea if it would maybe make the next version update?

Your request is noted in my todo list. I cannot commit to a release though. Whenever I find time to work on it.

Otherwise I wanted to ask you on the following - as I don’t find an option to set either the spread of the sources in VBAP or to set the panning type for the ircamverb~ to KNN (or anything else then vbap)

Indeed, ircamverb~ is currently restricted to vbap, for the sake of simplicity.

I am looking at the spat5 multiverb/reverb/early and cluster objects to find a efficient way of rendering my spatial mix live. Specifically to dynamically spread the reverberated sources throughout the speaker configuration (hence my interest in knn). Any notes or advice here?

The output of multiverb/reverb are uncorrelated channels; you could send them to a pan~ object (using vbap or knn or whatever you like), and adjust the spatial directions and spread as you wish. This is basically what the “pan rev” option of spat5.oper does (in the reverb tab).
Expect some new features in that area, to appear in the next release(s).

Best,
T.