< Back to IRCAM Forum

Creating a multi-platform max for live device

@marijn i disagree with your last sentence again haha. You dont need to freeze as you have to host anyways the library (and the licence) on your computer. Freezing is only intended for distribution to third party user… which is not allowed for any of the spat externals.

When exporting the amxd, you can explicitly tel the project that the global versions of the externals have to be used by the amxd.

Hi all,

Yes, it is possible to integrate the externals in a project… You just need a PC, the externals of Spat and a USB key.

• Copy the PC externals in a folder to Mac.

• Copy this folder into the externals of the Spat package on the Mac

On Windows, you can’t integrate the dependencies in the device so you still need to have Spat on this platform… On OSX, there is no problem

Yes, you have to think about consolidating the project, for exotic resources… and freezing a device is not mandatory…

I made a patch with neither external dependencies nor bpatchers, it updates itself with the Spat updates…

The last step is to do in Ableton Live, you have to freeze the device and save it. If the Windows externals are in the externals folder of the spat, the MXE64 will be included in the saved device

Best,

Jerome

Hi, You are right. I forgot to mention that the used needs to have spat5 installed on their computer. If you are planning to only use the external on your own computer there is no point in freezing it.

we all know the interest of doing amxd is to be able to share working device. That’s a super thing, very powerful and creative. We all do it, or want to do it.
I m purposely provocative. My point is that forum license is out of the scope for max-for-live environnement, that’s is to say, not adapted to the most dynamic and creative platform among the music designer and composer community. Sad, especially for a public funded research institute… the one that created max.

Hi,

you can freeze the device you want embedding as many Ircam externals you need and distribute your device on the forum. You can then freely and provocatively :wink: share it to the world. We made a new website for that purpose with tons of features, git, collaborative, discussions and more…! If you need to share it from somewhere else, please, let us distribute the max externals in that case. So yes, you can but it makes it just more complicated for everyone…

Best

1 Like

Good news I will share my device very soon

well greg, if we can’t agree on everything, i hope you can concede that as an independent or developer artist, when asked to share his work on the forum (which i would be super positive to do), he can do so reciprocally on his own site. I believe it’s a pretty decent request. Because it’s not possible, then it makes all complicated. Yes i agree on this.
I understand the questioning, but again, ircam is a public institution, so I think there woud be some sort of discussions to have here.

greetings to all,

With the new tools of the Ircam Forum, you can distribute your project and follow it on the discussion rooms.
I understand that with gumroad and other stores, you might be tempted to sell an AMXD for a few bucks.

But it is normal that the forum heads react when an Ircam technology is used in a paid AMXD.

I don’t know if you can negotiate that. Applying a royalty on sales? that’s a legal knot !

Yes, Ircam is public, that’s why it’s open, and why today there are so many free resources, and a real community.

Best,

Jerome

who spoke about gumroad and whatsoever? certainly not me. Selling protected code without rights agreements is forbidden whether it’s done from Ircam code or yours.This is not the subject.

The subject is what’s fair reciprocity in the field of coding for free devices sharing, in particular with a public institution.

Anyways, i will stop posting here about this topic.

cheers,