< Back to IRCAM Forum

Can't load the workspace in OM 7.1

Hello everyone,

I can’t load the workspace in OM 7.1, and can’t create one new project, only open a saved project is available (those two situations are also the same in OM 7.0).

(NB: I use MacOS Montery of Intel CPU)

If I manually open the workspace in dock, this message will pop up.
截屏2022-12-22 19.49.17

Could anyone help me? Thanks!

Hi wuyh97,

1. Can you try to create a new workspace first?
  2. can you send your workspace zipped? maybe it is corrupted.

Best
K

Hi K,

Thank you for your kind help. Yes, I tried to open another workspace - it worked, and the workspace could show, though it also needs opening manually. But new issue comes. I have a sub-patch in this workspace, which could be seen normally in OM 6.20
截屏2022-12-22 21.35.47
, while in OM 7.1, there’s nothing.
截屏2022-12-22 21.37.40

And when I want to open the preference in OM 7.1, the application will be crashed, the cursor will be circle around. When I right-click the OM 7.1 in the dock, there is only ‘force close’.

This is the workspace.
melodizer.zip (5.1 KB)

Thank you very much!

All the best,
Yihao

Dear Yihao,

Nothing’s wrong with your workspace except that you are autoloading two libraries: GIL and Melodizer and most apparently the problem comes from here.
Since your workspace include only one patch, and in order to debug your problem, what i recommend is the following:

1. Create a new workspace
  2. Don’t autoload these two libraries.
  3. Create a patch with standard om functions.
  4. save the workspace
  5. quit OM
  6. relaunch OM with the new workspace.
    And please report back if you encounter a problem.

Best
karim

Dear Karim,

I tried what you mentioned. But I am stuck in saving the workspace. Here is my new patch screenshot, I create a simple OM+.

The patch could be saved with command+s, but when I save the workspace, this message poped up,
, and this is the screenshot of the error backtrace,
. This prevented me from saving any new changes.

Actually, those problems didn’t appear in OM 6.20, but I couldn’t evaluate the solution on GIL and Melodizer, so I upgraded to OM 7.1. I don’t know if it is caused by the OS version.

All the best,
Yihao

There seems something really wrong in your installation.
Where did you install OM ?
Where are you creating your workspace?

Dear Karim,

My PC is in Chinese, so all the text will be showed in Chinese, but the path is the English. I install OM in /Applications/OM 7.1.app (This is what I directly copy), and the path of my project is: /Users/yihaowu/Documents/Open Music Documents.

All the best,

Yihao

Ok, everything seems fine. Maybe it is due to your system. Are you running the system in english? You can shift momentary your language to english.
Also, try again:

1. Trash OM 7.1
  2. download again OM 7.1 for Intel
  3. Copy to /Application folder as you did.

Hope it is not a language system issue.

BEst
K

Dear Karim,
unfortunately I have the same exact problem with ANY workspace, so i think it’s not workspace dependent…
Mac Os Big Sur in english on an Intel Mac
Thanks,
Alessandro

Dear Alessandro,

Very strange, it is working for me:

???
Can you provide more information, or maybe send a non working workspace (zipped) in order to see what’s wrong?

THanx
Best wishes
K

Dear Karim,

I have tried as you said - to change the language and reinstall OM 7.1. But I got the same message and couldn’t open the preference or save the workspace. I’m wondering if it’s possible that the system or some support libraries of different OM libraries I’ve installed via homebrew before has changed the initial settings of the software or the code, so it’s not loading the workspace while booting and other interfaces properly on my computer. (I’m just guessing, as I don’t know much about programming stuff either).

Best wishes,

Yihao

A quick question: Do you have any other version of OM installed on your machine ? If so, perhaps a complete removal of previous version(s) and a reinstall of 7.1 could help.

Hello! Yeah, I have deleted OM 6.20 and reinstalled OM 7.1. I just move it to the bin. Is there any other method for deleting completely?

Dear Yihao,

For a start please do check this:

1. PLease first check this:
    in /Users/you_account/Library/Preferences
    there must be a OpenMusic folder.
    Put in trash and empty trash.
    then:
  2. Don’t autoload any library
  3. Please do check if your workspace you are trying to open is in read/write place
    just please give some info on where it is

Launch OM

Concerning libs installed by homebrew, this is principle must not interact in a negative way with OM since homebrew installed libraries are OK.

Best
K

Dear Karim,

I tried this. Before I deleted the OpenMusic folder, I took the screenshots of the preference of OM 7 and 7.1, respectively

and
After I deleted and reinstalled, I found the same situation. So I reinstalled the OM 6.20, which could work on this computer, and its preference is
Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 23.14.35

For the workspace I loaded is situated in /Users/yihaowu/Documents/Open Music Documents. It could be changed and saved in OM 6.20

, but in OM 7.1 couldn’t (BTW this workspace and Lisp Listener aren’t autoloaded in OM 7.1).

I found another file in Preference changed just now (the openmusic.plist),

but I don’t know if that plist file lead the problem.

Thank you very much!

All the best,

Yihao

THank you Yihao for reporting back.
Apparently, there’s something weird happening with v7.1
My plist looks like that:

Yours is garbled at the end.
And apparently v7.1 fails to find the path.
Question: is v7.0 ok for you?

Will investigate further.
by the way, did you download again the om installation from here?:

If not please do that again and re-install.

Best
K

Dear Karim,

I downloaded again from the website you sent, OM 7.0 and 7.1 still didn’t work. I can use v6.20 now. I found I may open the plist in wrong way, this is seen by preview.

Hope it help.

Thank you very much again!

Best wishes,

Yihao

Dear All,

I think i know the reason of this. Will prepare a fix and will be back to you very soon.
Best
K

Dear all,

Here you will find a pre-release that could fix this issue (only for mac Intels):

Please be free to report back.

Best
K

Dear Karim,

Thank you very much for this beta version. I deleted the plist and OpenMusic folder in preference folder and installed this version. There were some situations alike. I don’t know if I operated wrongly.

I created a new workspace, and got this message,
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 22.10.50

I tried to open the saved workspace, and it seemed like loaded abnormally still. None of patches were showed. For opening preference, I couldn’t open it still, but this time I got the message rather than freezed,
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 22.15.20

For saving the patch, I couldn’t save the workspace. These are the screenshots.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 22.16.32
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 22.17.30

Best wishes,

Yihao