< Back to IRCAM Forum

Beginner question: Assigning instruments to voices

Happy New Year, all.

What I want could be turn out to have a simple solution. By ‘voices’ I mean both OM Voice objects and elements which act like musical voices, like sheet-tracks. I found a post by @haddad providing some Lisp utilities for processing notes in bulk, but this strikes me as an odd thing to need an external library for. Is there really no alternative but to:

1. Give each instrument a dedicated channel
  2. Assign all the notes to that channel?

What about MIDI tracks? I believe that an OMSheet assigns each “part” to a different MIDI track. Can I access these? Is it possible to set the port and/or channel for each track?

And what about ports? Would it be reasonable to, for instance, use always channel 0, with a different port for each instrument? Because it’s possible to adjust the port for a whole object at a time?

I haven’t worked directly with MIDI messages much and am grasping at options.

-Jonathan

Dear Jonathan,

The post you are referring to is old, and the issue covered there was a bug that has been fixed long ago.
Now what you are looking for is completely included in the OM kernel, ie, channel changes, port changes etc. You can also do this through the voice editor. cf.

http://support.ircam.fr/docs/om/om6-manual/co/ScoreObjects.html

You can also export these editors in midifile format.

Best wishes
K

The post you are referring to is old, and the issue covered there was a bug that has been fixed long ago.

Thank you, that is comforting. The documentation has this picture:
changetempo,
but I’ve never seen a description of how to conjure this little ‘VOICE inspector’ dialog. Is it still available?

Hi Jonathan,

Well unfortunately this is a somehow outdated documentation, and the feature you are seeing is no more. However in the upcoming 6.18 version which is soon to be released, you will have a complete editing control on both rhythm trees and tempo like so:

Best
K

That looks very good. rhythm-trees are currently hard to edit.

Well unfortunately this is a somehow outdated documentation,

As I think you’ve pointed out to me before. That’s fine.