< Back to IRCAM Forum

[Announcement] Orchidea 0.6 - assisted orchestration

[apologies for cross-posting]

Dear all,

we are glad to announce the latest release (0.6) of the Orchidea software for
computer-assisted orchestration.

Although we know that our contribution is very small, we hope that,
by releasing this new version of our free software, we can bring
some relief to the people that are now at home for the emergency.

Orchidea represents the state-of-the-art system for assisted orchestration and the
new release is deployed as Max package, GUI standalone and command line tool:

http://www.orch-idea.org

We also have a new YouTube (Orchestration idea) channels with video-tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvQqqpZmCWSIy6k4urWKjIw

Assisted orchestration can be thought as the process of searching for the best
combinations of orchestral sounds to match a target sound under specified metric
and constraints. Although a solution to this problem has been a long-standing
request from many composers, it remains relatively unexplored because of its high
complexity, requiring knowledge and understanding of both mathematical
formalization and musical writing.

New features included in this release:

Datasets

• new versions of TinySOL, OrchideaSOL and FullSOL with new licenses

GUI standalone software

• first release to the public

Max package
ā€“ added buffer support to all orchidea.* modules
ā€“ global refactoring of orchidea.solve, and of all the orchidea.solution.* modules:
now default export is via buffers and Max dictionary, first two outlets are reversed
ā€“ added support for any sample rate and 24-bit files
ā€“ added reverb parameters
ā€“ two new tutorials on building a workspace and working with scores
ā€“ new orchidea.fromfile.toroll module module for converting a command line solution into a bach.roll
ā€“ new orchidea.play~ module to play directly from a bach.roll
ā€“ new orchidea.solution.tollll module
ā€“ fixed bug causing quirks with dynamics with equal sign (e.g. f=pp)
ā€“ support for pipes in instrument names (doubling)
ā€“ added ā€œlistā€ segmentation policy, to manually provide segmentation points
ā€“ improved progress bars and notifications for orchidea.solve and orchidea.db.gen
ā€“ fixed multiple bugs in orchidea.solve causing errors in solutions
ā€“ fixed bug in orchidea.solution.toroll causing wrong marker display
ā€“ added ā€œnullmodeā€ in orchidea.db.query

Good luck to everybody and keep safe.

The Orchidea team

3 Likes

What about command Line tools for Windows ?

hi, Iā€™m still checking an issue under windows: it binds with libraries that are not always available. Will put all online again ASAP.

Thank you so much for this huge and amazing work @carminecella and @ghisi !!! Be safeā€¦

Thanks for the support Greg!
C

thank you for your tips. I have the following problem: I have macOs Catalina 10:15 and cannot bring Orchidea into the Max / Package. I have now tried via the Teminal and entered sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine / Applications / Max.app / Contents Now it says: Password can you help me

I donā€™t have Catalina yet, but maybe the password you mention is the ā€œadminā€ password?

Is it any tutorial/manual for standalone Orchidea?
Thanks

I saw just one short video!

And what about command Line tools tutorial ?

Hello everybody,
Hopefully someone can help me
I have now downloaded the standalone version of Orchidea and receive the following. See picture in the attachment now I do not know.

Is it possible to hear the target and the solution together in the standalone Orchidea?
Thanks

This is the message I keep getting

WE will do some, whenever possible.
Best
C

Iā€™d like to report a problem in the tutorial patch 6.Working with Scores:

Most of the examples have the 9th slot hard coded to the directory path ā€œ/Users/danieleghisi/Documents/Max8/Packages/orchidea/ā€¦ā€, so the audio files are not played back (with the exceptions of the cases you run orchidea.solve or orchidea.db.query yourselfā€¦ or if you are in Daniele Ghisisā€™ computer, Iā€™d guess :slight_smile: ) .

Best,
R.

Hi Raphael, hereā€™s the person behind that computer ;-))
Thanks for posting, Iā€™m working on the issue. We will perhaps introduce a ā€œrelativeā€ mode for orchidea.play~, using the slot 8 (containing relative path) and some information on the db position.
If this works, I will try to post the patch here, for a sort of ā€˜hot fixā€™. Hope this will help.

EDIT: relative mode is not even needed, Iā€™ll just post a working version of the tutorial in a bit. Thanks for pointing out the issue.

Hi Raphael, hereā€™s an hot fix for the orchidea play issue. By the way, there was another little bug causing wrong duration while playing direct-to-disk, itā€™s also solved.

Apparently, since I am a ā€œnew userā€, I cannot upload an attachment in this forum, so hereā€™s a link for the fix:

Iā€™ll leave it there for some days, hope thatā€™ll be enough. Let me know if this helps.

Daniele

2 Likes

Hi Daniele,

I have a few questions, and Iā€™m sure youā€™re the man for the job.

First of all, I use a ā€œbigā€ orchidea.play~ :

I see in tutorial 6 (and elsewhere in orchidea package) that 40 channels are used, I use 60 because you can be brought to go to 30 staves, with big orchestras. So I have doubts.

By the way, isnā€™t the ā€œparallel 1ā€ attribute the default one? It works pretty well, but when I donā€™t set the detune attribute to 1, then I get ticks in playback. Whereas in tutorial 6 this is not a problemā€¦

About the ā€œautoā€ message I donā€™t use it because I bypass the bach.roll to go directly to a bach.score, it doesnā€™t seem necessary to me, but maybe Iā€™m wrong and misunderstood?

Iā€™m sending you the patch privately, so you can see the context.

A huge thank you in advance,

Best,

Jerome

Hi Jerome, I wanted to wait with this till next release but letā€™s go on and test this. Can you tell me whether this version of orchidea.play~ works better for you? The clicks are mostly due to pfft~ needing a delay, Iā€™ve always had troubles with adsr~ in combination with pfft~, no matter how many delays I put :-), cause Maxā€™s adsr~ has its own logic that Iā€™ve often found hard to bend. This new ā€˜manual allocationā€™ version is somehow cleaner in my opinion. Let me know whether the new abstraction helps. (BTW @parallel 1 is not the default, just like it is not the default in poly~)

2 Likes

Yes, itā€™s works !

I continue to test it anyway, but it seems ok

Thank you very much,

Best,

Jerome