< Back to IRCAM Forum

Yin~ don't work and request activation

Dear all,
ON the Max Sound Box all external works good except the pitch tracking external Yin~
keeps on showing the modal when trying to open it ( see image below )
Is that normal ?
how could i use this external properly ?
If you have any idea please do not hesitate.

I’m on Max 8.1.10 MacBook Pro 2020 TB MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina 16G RAM

All the Best

Hello,

Are you sure you only have the latest version available on the forum in your search path?

Best,

Greg

I have the latest MaxSoundBox on my Packages folder and this folder is on the search path.
I found an other yin~external in that path Macintosh HD :/Users/omarkarray/Documents/Max 8/Packages/ircam-omax_y-Max6.1/externals/yin~.mxo so delete it and empty the trash.
Now on my max console i have this message : yin~ (pitch analysis), version 1/2021 (15)

So no i pass without the activaton modal. But Yin~ on the help file dose not seems to process.
see in the attachement the short video demonstrating the issue that i have. here i have also rooted the signal coming from sfplay~ to the dac~
Signal is present and passing to Yin~ but no signal at all in the output …

Hi,

have you tried other sound files?
Is the help patch the one in the same package as the external?
What architecture and version of max is yin~ running on?

Glad that finding the right version of the external has already solved your activation problem.

Bonjour Greg,
Tried diffenrent sound files no one of them works.
I’m on Max 8.1.11 64-bit MacOS 10.15.7
The help file is on the same packakge as the external.

I have made a new video attachement implementing a basic operation:
a cycle~ wave with 220Hz passing to the yin~ external. the yin~ pitch out hangs on 19.87 Hz value.
next to it i have the max external retune~ used also for pitch traking same signal passing and this external is working.
N.B: my computer is brand new so those are new installations on my old mac i was using yin~ correctly and it have more accuracy than the retune~ external specially for old phonographic instrumental recordings ( for a research project ).
i do not kow if this external is open source may be i could build it on my computer with xCode ?

Your help is much appretiated.
And all the best.
Omar Karray

Hi Omar,

Yin~ is not open-source but maintained by the Ircam ISMM team.
I don’t have currently a 10.15 mac to do the test.
Maybe @borghesi you have an idea ?

Looking forward

Hi Omar,

I’ve Big Sur 11.6, And yin~ works well… I have tried with a electric bass recording and the f(0) is ok !

Hoping it helps…

Jerome

hi all, same for me on OSX 11.6 and Max 8.1/8.2, yin~ works well.
Best
Riccardo

Hello All,
@beller thank you for helping me sort it out an maybe try with BigSur upgrading my system it could be this the issue !!
Yin~ is an exceptional object that I use from years now thank you all of you for the great work at IRCAM.

( I’m noticing also some problems on my Mac with old patch’s that work well before …)

All the Best
Omar

Hi @omar,

Please let us know how your problem was resolved.
It could happen to someone else…
And good luck with your updates.

Greg

Bonjour @beller ,
first of all i have upgraded to MacOSX 11.5.2,
then i have made a clean install of Max Resetting Max with a clean install – Cycling '74 Support , having sampling rate of 48 kHz :partying_face: Yin~ is back to work. and my other patches too.
I also do not have the problems that i have before with Catalina regarding USB-C Hub that was presenting little disconnections with the USB audio interfaces. ( i think the problem is related to Catalina on the Macbook pro 2021 but not sure ). anyhow the max/msp clean install seems to be a good solution if the max app is behaving weird.
bonne journée a vous.
et merci encore pour votre aide et suivie.

1 Like

Hi @omar,

glad you can track the pitch again.
From what I remember (and I’m not part of Apple’s referral program), using the Apple-branded USB-C Hub may solve some connection issues …

All the best

Dear all,
I have also a problem with this object on my new machine (OS 12.2, arm64, with MAX 8.3.1) I tried to re-install all but nothing work, if someone have an idea?
Thank you
Didier

Hi,
did you check your path?
Please make sure only one version of the external remains into your file preferences…
Also if you can give more information on the bug… crash report, Max error message…

Best

Does Yin~ only work when max is running at 48 kHz? That seems to be the case for me: Max 8.5.2, Mac silicon OS 12.6.2

Thanks,

What happens when you work in another RH?

Thanks Beller, but I am not sure what RH means? I have made some testing progress. The sample rate issue was a glitch with my hardware interface, noting to do with Yin~. But, the problems with Yin~ persist and it is pretty confusing. I am running the newest versions of Yin~ from the Max SoundBox install - 9/2022 (19). The help patch works fine and output run continuously. But, when I use it in my patch (a big / complicated performance system with many patchers) the outputs of Yin~ just sit at zero and almost never put out any values. Even with the Yin~ help patch, if my performance patch is running at the same time, the help patch will not work. If I use the ‘start window’ command to start the help patch, then it works fine. Seems like something in my patch is breaking Yin~ but I can’t think what that would be… Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks a lot,

Oh Sorry I mean SR not RH.

Well, then it’s hard to debug without your patch then.
If you want you can send it to me and @borghesi in MP and we’ll have a look at it.

Best

Thanks, I will need to do more testing. Not sure if sending the patch would help - it is pretty involved with a lot of 3rd party elements. Just pretty stumped about this, since it even makes Yin~ stop working in the help patch if my patcher is just running in the background. This should give me some kind of a clue, but I am not finding it…

One concrete question - is the version I am running the proper version? I am running the version of Yin~ that I just downloaded from the Max SoundBox installation - the get info says 9/2022 (19)

Thanks a lot,

Hello All,
So @beller hope you are doing well.
in fact in my side the Yin works perfect on a MacBook Pro 2020 With intel chip and max 8.2.1. but do not work on my MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Pro Chip with max 8.5.2 and with same Sampling lates of 48khz.
but no message from max saying there is architecture problem.
Any idea ?
thanks in advance