< Back to IRCAM Forum

XML export

Dear Orchids,
Congratulations on doing a great job with the software. I’m sure that with the next version(s), some currently required workarounds can be skipped. I was wondering why you did not implement direct XML file export, so that Finale or Sibelius can open it without the bach procedure in-between? Surely that implementation will have been one of your considerations, so I’m curious why you decided against it. Or am I missing something, here? Isn’t it true that all the Solutions window elements that are vital to a real-world performance (dynamics, playing style) could also be made visual in regular music notation software via XML? As it stands now, export to these softwares is rather tedious: I’m inclined to make screen prints of the Solutions window and then bring their content into Finale manually…
Kind regards,
Jan-Bas

Dear Jan-Bas,

In fact, the use of the Bach export functions were purely based on an easiness of integration. It also seems that the “export” from there is very variable from one computer to another. Some people seem to be able to export quite easily (with all informations regarding dynamics and playing style), but maybe it is not your case ? Maybe re-installing the latest version of Bach could allow to provide these required exports.

In any case, thanks for the advice, we will make sure to include a direct export to music notation softwares in future releases.

All the best,
Philippe

Thank you, Philippe.
Actually, I do not have any issues at all with opening Orchid exported Bach files, it works fine. But Finale and Sibelius are still the preferred applications for pro music notation. Besides, the Orchid export procedure (or Bach’s reading of the file) does not include the (extended) technique descriptions of the instruments such as the score in Orchid does. I know that XML allows for these type of descriptions, so I’m trying to be as pragmatic as possible here. It will be very difficult to find a way to export these descriptions that will satisfy everybody. Still, having them in XML attached to notes, like in Orchids, would be very, very useful. Looking forward to the next release.
Kind regards,
Jan-Bas

I absolutely agree. Being able to export to MusicXML with all of the annotations and extended technique descriptions would be great.

Hi Alberto,
With the new version (0.9.2) of Orchids, the MusicXML files contain all the extended technique info, there is even an option to “Export as MusicXML (with files)” which incorporates the audio file info into the score too.
-Eren.

Hello Orchids,

I was excited to learn that Orchids can export MusicXML (also with audio files). However, every time I have tried to open either an exported MusicXML file (with or without audio files) in Sibelius, it crashes.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

Thanks.

I’m not able to find the “Export as MusicXML”, I’m currently using version 0.9.2 and I have the following options to export Solutions:

• Audio File
  • bach file
  • MIDI
  • OpenMusic
  • PWGL
  • Tracks to folder

It seems that MusicXML is not any of those formats, am I searching in the wrong place?

Thanks,
Alberto.

Alberto,

Go the the Maquette section. At the bottom right is “Drag”. Raise this. Beneath is a similar Export section to what you have seen. But it also includes MusicXML and MusicXML with files export.

Good luck.

Glen

Thank you Glen! I found it.

Cheers,
Alberto.