< Back to IRCAM Forum

XML export from Finale to OM6.20

Hi,
I’m trying to export an 8-tone format Finale file to OM, but I get the following error:

It works when I use a regular (half-tone) formatted document. but not with the 8-tone one, yet I can export from OM with the old ‘save-as-etf’ tool and copy-paste the result in my eight-tone file perfectly.

Incidentally, I also tried to use the export as XML from OM, in 8-tones, but the resulting file in Finale, despite showing coherent accidentals, seems to be a regular half-tone format when I try to manually edit notes (i.e. only regular accidentals can be used, as if microtonal accidentals were only ‘articulation-like’ figures, and not properly implemented accidentals).

I saw that some XML preferences can be set in Finale, for import and export… is there something that should be done there?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Best,
Jimmie

Dear Jimmie,

this is an old and known issue:

Unfortunately, there is no way to handle 1/8th tones in Finale. There is one missing symbol slot and mapping for the last 1/8th in Finale. I Don’t know if this was fixed, and in what Finales version that is (i don’t use Finale anymore) . Even the etf export will lack this symbol, and the mapping as you noticed is wrong. So, i think unfortunately you should stick with 1/4 tones for the moment.
Anyhow, i will look into this XML issue (OM’s side) and if there is a possibility to encode it in Musicxml. If yes will try to fix this.

Best
K

Thank you for the quick reply, Karim!

All noted.

It’s true the the etf. creates a wrong symbol, but I made my own microtonal template in Finale, with all the right symbols, and when I copy-paste from the .etf, it properly maps to the new symbol list. That’s my workaround…

Best,

Jimmie

Thanx Jimmie for the feedback.

I Imagine that this template only works for the ETF export? If it is also valid for Musixml, let me know, maybe we can achieve something here. However, as Finale is not backwards compatible, which Finale’s version this template is for?

Best
& Happy holidays :slight_smile:
K

It’s not working well with the xml export, unfortunately… I’m now using the last version of Finale, but I use the same template since many years, I basically just settled the ‘key signature’ tool in such a way that there are as many increments as there are accidentals to be used (either 1/4 or 1/8 tones), for the rest, the file is no different from a regular Finale document. I’ll let you know if I find anything else that could be useful!
Warmest wishes, and yes - happy holidays too! :slight_smile:
Jimmie