< Back to IRCAM Forum

Window size in samples

Hello,

I am used to giving window size in samples, but for example, when I call the FFT plug-in, it asks for the size in ms. I have noticed that in the tutorial video, it is actually shown in samples. I was wondering how to change it. I would really like to have the option to select the sizes in samples. Is there an option in the preferences to change this?

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Unfortunately not. The unit of the parameters of the plugins is defined by the plugins. I assume you speak of the Ircam Vamp Plugin (such as the Super vamp Plugin. The videos were created during the first phases of the development when the plugins were still in a very beta version (the video were not originally intended to be released publically) since then, it has been requested by many people to use milliseconds instead of samples for the window duration, this way the effective window duration remains constant whatever is the sample rate (if a window duration is defined in samples when the sample rate changes, the effective window duration also changes).

1 Like

Hello,

thank you very much for your kind reply. Yes, I was talking about the Ircam Vamp Plugin.
I understand the issue with the sample rates. In the future version, it would be really great, if it could be implemented to have a choice between giving ms or samples or, even more preferably, both are shown; the other is automatically calculated when one was entered, like in AudioSculpt(RIP).

Thank you very much again for the great work with Partiels.

Best regards

Hello,

Also thank you for developing Partiels!

I would also welcome, if there could be a choice between ms or samples like in AS :slight_smile:

Best regards