< Back to IRCAM Forum

Will not advance past "Analysis"

I have been using Orchids for the better part of this year, and very happy with it so far. Unfortunately however, now when I drop a soundfile into the window for analysis, Orchids never moves beyond analyzing the file itself, regardless of file length/type. I’ve tried with all sorts of soundfile types, as well as lengths – everything from files less than a second, to over a minute long. In all cases, Orchids will not finish windowed analysis of the file, even though it should be said that “Wave” and “Spectrum” visualizations appear to be working normally.

While in possession of Orchids, I did upgrade to 10.10, but I’m fairly certain I had used Orchids successfully after having upgraded to 10.10.

For reference: 2.2GHZ Intel i7, running 10.10.4

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dear Samhertz,

Happy to hear about the first part, just to let you know, there is going to be a major update coming in November, with lots of improvements to the search accuracy and various options. Anyways, regarding your problem it is kind of a “first-of-its-kind”, so could you try again from scratch and copy-paste the content of the message window here (cmd-M).

Another way to look more closely to the origin is to launch the Search from the console (in a Terminal) :
cd /Applications/Orchids0.9.1.app/Contents/Database/ && ./Search
Then run the application and look what messages pop out in the console.

All the best,
Philippe

Cher Philippe,

Bought Orchids v.0.9.1 yesterday. Installation went fine.

Opened the application. Left settings at default. Imported 5-second, stable trombone note sample (A3) 44.1Hz WAV on Mac Pro. Clicked ‘analyze’. After 2-3 hours, the software did not go past the ‘Analyzing’ flywheel. I got no results.

Am I doing something wrong?

François.

Dear François,

No you are obviously doing everything right … but this appears to happen sporadically on some machines. Is this soundfile-specific ? (In which case you can join the soundfile in this forum)

Otherwise, it would help to copy-paste the content of the message window here (cmd-M) (after dropping the soundfile in the app)

Another way to look more closely to the origin is to launch the Search from the console (in a Terminal) :
cd /Applications/Orchids0.9.1.app/Contents/Database/ && ./Search
Then run the application and look what messages pop out in the console.

Anyways, a major update is on its way and should fix many problems with the software around November 1st

All the best,
Philippe

By the way, just drag&dropping the soundfile in the top left corner should automatically launch the analysis … but you needed to click “Analyze” to launch it ?

Cher Philippe,

Mea culpa! I quit the application and tried again. Everything worked perfectly within seconds. I am so happy! :slight_smile:

Bien à vous,

François.

It has been a while since I started this thread, but in returning to Orchids this morning (now that I have more freetime), I’m still finding the same problem.

Following your hints from above, here are the results:
From the Max window in Orchids, I receive only this message: SentToServer: /Orchids/setSoundfile /Applications/Sound Programs/Max 6.1/examples/sounds/anton.aif

When sending the query to the Terminal (after changing the search path to match the filepath of Orchids’ installation on my system), I still get in response: No such file or directory.

Not sure if this is helpful, but any help would be much appreciated!

Very Best,
Sam

Dear Sam,

Have you tried the new 0.9.2 version ? It fixes a lot of issues and I’m hoping this one as well (I think this one was a “path with space” simple error in the interface definition) :slight_smile:

All the best,
Philippe