< Back to IRCAM Forum

What is the bettet OSX for forumnet softs ans music softs in general ?

Hi all,

actually, the name of the topic is the question that I ask

I use all Ircam softs and ircam-close softs

My DAW are Live 9 and logic pro 9

musicallly~

……………………………………… jerome

Jérôme,

Usually, for every release minimal OSX requirement is noted on the download pages of each package. As far as MAX Objects are concerned (and also most standalone software), we do not support any OSX prior to 10.6 . This is more or less imposed by Apple’s XCODE! If anybody is interested in older versions, they should refer to ARCHIVE page in Download pages of each software package.

Other developpers will confirm or correct my sayings for Forumnet software.

However, concerning DAWs, I can not confirm anything for sure. But latest news, they were discouraging upgrading to Yosemite! Here is a post regarding this issue which might be already old by now:

Hey,
Actually i’m running 10.6 and am considering upgrading since compatibility problems with recent software updates have been accumulating lately… So i was wondering for Yosemite and the forum apps : are there known compatibility issues with Yosemite ? is there an “ideal” system, less outdated than 10.6 and which would allow compatibility with future things for a reasonable amount of time, to work with ?

Hi,

it is somehow an odd question. Why ?
well let me put it this way:

First, there’s no ideal OS . The ideal one is the one which is compatible with your software.
Now when you get a load of softwares here and there, you will have some working good, ecxellent, fairly well or not at all with your configuration.
So the good question should be what OS is COMPATIBLE with xz soft…

Ok now concerning the Ircam forum softs, most of them are compatible with 10.6 . (i say most)…
And many of them with the latest OS 10.10.
Now concerning my persona; experience, i am using the 10.8 and didn’t upgrade to 10.9 (which was really problematic for many non-ircam soft).
Usually you don’t want to upgrade your OS during production. This shouldn’t happen, else you will have BIG unfortunate surprises.

ok, so for answering your question, if you are not in a production phase, and want to upgrade to 10.10. I say do it, especially if you have a new machine. Since this is also a very important issue here. If you have an old mac , well i should say forget it, since new OSes are known to be memory consuming .

Hope this helps.

Best wishes and a happy new year.
K

Hey Karim. What i’m specifically asking here for is the compatibility of the Ircam forum applications with Yosemite, and if there is an OS iteration on which the Ircam forum applications are known to work better. Thanks for your answer anyway !

Vichug,

We tested all the Apps on Yosemite in november 2014. So everything should work. However, if you run into any trouble, create a post in the corresponding User Group.

Hey Arshia,
thanks for the info ! good to know everything should work.

Hi Vichug,

For your information, AudioSculpt (including SuperVP, Pm2, IrcamDescriptor, IrcamBeat) should work fine under Mac OS 10.9 and 10.10.
Most of our people here at IRCAM are under 10.8 and 10.9. Under Yosemite, we have not seen any special issues.
Of course, if you intend to use a software like Diphone, which are not developed anymore, then i would recommend to not change anything at all on your working OS.

Best,
Charles

Hi Picasso, come to think of it, i may wat to use ResAn (which is part of Diohone ?) in a near future… or is there a more modern way to create resonnant model readable by Max now ?