< Back to IRCAM Forum

Transposing bug in The Snail 2.3.0 (iOS)

Glad that the iOS version of this best tuning app of all finally works under iOS 15.
I just encountered one issue on my iPad: Selecting “Transposing Instrument” (e.g. Bb) under “XPERTS” settings gives a corrupted interface in the snail view (the note names don’t align with the segments and the indicated notes for a played sound are completely wrong), and the linear tuning view completely ignores the transposition setting.
Looking forward to the bug fix.
Cheers -
Peter

Hi Peter,

You’re absolutely right! This will be taken care of “shortly” (which means really shortly!)

By the way, this 2.3 maintenance update is the first sign of a faster development pace for the Snail. We we want to be more reactive on the maintenance front, while some major features are being beta tested.

Best,
Robert

Hi Peter,

A new free update (2.3.1) of the Snail for iOS is available.

Thanks again for reporting this issue (which, I think, was long-standing…)
Best,
Robert

Thanks, Robert - works great in Snail view now!
In the linear view (tuning fork icon) the transposition is still ignored which seems to be a bug - wouldn’t make much sense as a feature I guess.

Cheers –
Peter

Hi Peter,
Thank you, and we’ll look into it! :wink:
Robert

Hi Peter,

The Snail 2.3.2 for iOS has just been released: in ‘tuning fork’ mode, the transposing instrument setting is now, expectedly, taken into account. Also, we added some permanent “info” text area reminding the current pitch reference (440 Hz for instance) and transposition.

Thank you again for your report! This is always the best and most straightforward way for us to improve our technologies.

Robert

Hi Robert,

good idea re. additional info, but not quite working on iPad Pro 12.9", see screenshot (here: transposing Bb) in Snail view.
Besides, the gray “tune center indicator” or whatever you might call the assumed fundamental note indicator does not move to the played note.

And in Tuning Fork View apparently nothing really works, the played sound does not show up (only some random note) and the tonal scale does not react.

Cheers –
Peter - the Beta tester :wink:

Oh, I had an idea - and it did some improvement: After updating the app and seeing the mentioned problems I now restarted the iPad, and most effects mentioned below are gone - good! But of course you wouldn’t expect having to restart the iPad after updating an app.

And the info display problem from my screenshot in the last mail is indeed still existing.

Cheers –
Peter

Thanks for your new report! Writing to you in PM…
As far as the tuning fork feature issues, it looks to me you did not activate “autodetect”… I think that might explain!
Robert