< Back to IRCAM Forum

the kernel "superVP" reported an error

Hi list
I just uploaded the last version of AudioSculpt and when I try to do the analysis I get the error: the kernel “superVP” reported an error. I did a security update of my MAC yesterday and I hope that it has nothing to do with that.
I’m on 10.8.5 2.9 Ghz intel Core i7 with a 16 Gb RAM.
PLease help!

Aucun problème avec AS 3.3.4, ni avec 3.3.8.
Mais je suis sous Mavericks : 10.9.5
2.2 Ghz intel Core i7 with a 16 Gb RAM.

Alain

Hi DIONYSOS,

Your security update should not normally be a problem.
Could you please tell us the message of the error reported. You can find this message normally if you open the Console view of AudioSculpt :
click on the bottom left grey triangle in the document : it should open the console view where are printed all the commands sent to supervp and where the errors should be reported.
Copy / paste the text from the console.

I suggest also that you reset all your settings in case :
RESET REALTIME SETTINGS

1. Click To AudioSculpt Menu > Processing > Realtime Processing Settings
  2. a dialog will be opened > on the bottom left of the dialog, you will see a é
    “Setting” option menu > Click on it
  3. Choose “Factory Settings”

RESET SONOGRAM SETTINGS

1. Open AudioSculpt Menu > Analysis > Sonogram Settings
  2. On the bottom left of the panel click on the Settings menu option and choose “Factory Settings” too
  3. re-perform your analysis

Tell me if it does solve your problem.
Best,
Charles

I had the same problem with the SVP Kernel error with 3.3.8 and discovered that with some of the analysis and processing actions there is a conflict in the path where the sound in located. You can try to put the file you want to work with in another folder (the AS folder maybe is best) and/or change the name of the file and avoid any strange symbols…

Carl

Hi Carl,

Could you give the path of the sound that gave you a problem. Normally there should be no changes in 3.3.8 that should impact how the sound path is handled for the analysis. But there is one, we would be really grateful to have such an example so we can fix this path problem quickly.

Best,
Charles

Dear Picasso,

Thank you for your help. I tried to reset both REALTIME SETTINGS and SONOGRAM SETTINGS but I found no solution. However, I think that Carl has a point there. I tried to put the file I was interested to analyse in the root folder, I change the name to a DOS-like manner, and the analysis was successful!

I’m copying here the error before changing the filename:

AudioSculpt (0) > supervp -t -ns -S"/Volumes/Old_Mac/Mp3/temp/Vaggione, Horacio/Horacio Vaggione [2012] Points Critiques XXX/03 - Nodal (1997).wav" -filepat XXX=320k -Afft -Np0 -M0.0464299991726875s -oversamp 8 -Wblackman -OS0 “/Applications/AudioSculpt 3.3.8/Fft/tempAnalysis-0002.fft.sdif”

error opening sound file `/Volumes/Old_Mac/Mp3/temp/Vaggione, Horacio/Horacio Vaggione [2012] Points Critiques 320k/03 - Nodal (1997).wav’

Kernel returned error -42

Hi VITADELTASOKLA,

Thanks for the output.
We identified the problem and yes this is a bug concerning the file path. So it will be fixed in the next release.
Currently there is an error because of the brackets in the file path which are used internally to encode splitted file path. The fact that is misinterpreted here is a bug.
If you try to remove the brackets, you will see that everything should be work as expected. We will ship the new release with the fix soon.

Thanks for your report.
Best,
Charles