< Back to IRCAM Forum

Synthesis/transformation with Pm2

Hello!

I was wondering what type synthesis one can do with Pm2, it’s not a purely analysis tool, is it?

I really like the sound transformations that is possible with SuperVP. I do not want to miss on potential synthesis/transformation awesome-ness I could get from Pm2 as well :slight_smile:

Is there a manual for Pm2, especially about the possibilities with synthesis and transformation?

Thanks!

Hi Derya,

Here is IRCAM’s quick reference page on Pm2 — with links to Axel Roebel’s publications on it: http://anasynth.ircam.fr/home/english/software/pm2

All the best,
António

I was looking for a manual/tutorial type of a thing but it does not exist it seems. Thanks anyways!

Hi Derya,

I know, I just gave you the best available documentation I could find to help you out. As far as I could gather, it’s far less well-documented than SuperVP. I mostly learned Pm2 as a command-line tool through OpenMusic and AudioSculpt over the years. It takes some time, but it’s not that hard.

All the best,
António

1 Like

Hello

Pm2 is much less developed than SuperVP. I think there are three means for creativity use:

1. remixing with sinusoids - you perform sinusoidal analysis and then you resynthesize them in mixing with the original sound file. That way you can change the sinusoids to noise balance. You have a different technique for remixing in SuperVP but it is less precise because there is no explicit sinusoidal model.

2. chord seqs - you can extract segment wise averaged sinusoids and use these as some kinds of accords extracted from the sound. As far as I know this is pretty popular in OpenMusic. I am not using OpenMusic, I cannot tell you much about this.

3. You extract sinusoids into an sdif file, load the sdif file into python
    process them however you like and store them back for synthesis.

For reading into python you could use the eaSDIF python module that you can compile either yourself or install for Anaconda (MacOs and linux only) using

conda install -c roebel easdif