< Back to IRCAM Forum

Stack overflow on AIS tutorials

I just installed the AIS library and opened the tutorial patch for the normal-ais. When I try to evaluate normal-ais I get an error Stack overflow (stack size is 261120)

Hi fm42,

are you loading the OMCS library on OM 6.18 or OM#? Your OS is Windows, MacOS or Linux?

On OM# sharp there is an issue that, according to Jean Bresson:

“We need PMC engine to be compiled in order to run that patch, and currently OM# only loads and evaluates the (un-compiled) Lisp sources of the OMCS library”.

This is update of OMCS 1.2, which includes up-to-date compiled files for OM#/macOS (should still work on OM6 as well), uploaded by Jean:

https://github.com/openmusic-project/OMCS/releases/download/v1.2/OMCS.1.2-omsharp-macos.zip

P.S.: Attached to this message there is a screenshot with my test on normal-ais tutorial patch. I’m using the latest OMCS version on Mac Mojave.

Best,

Paulo

Dear fm42,

Yes as Paulo indicates, please can you give us more details on your specifications (OM or omsharp, OS, etc.) and if using OM most important the version you are using.

Best
K

I am using OM6.18 on Windows 10. I am using OM-AIS1.1

The patch shown above is the patch I was trying to run.

Ok thanx,

Will look into that and report back asap.

Best
K

Ok i made it work:
you should remove all .64xfasl files from the source folder of OMCS.
Relaunch OM and you should make it work:

Please report back if not.

Best
K

I deleted all the fasl files in the Libraries/OMCS 1.2/sources folder, opened up the AIS tutorial workspace and pressed v on Lisp length box after pmc and Lisp time at the right hand side. Both produced the stack overflow error.

Ok ,
try this,
replace the OMCS lib with this one here attached

OMCS 1.2.zip (242.8 KB)

k

Dear Karim and fm42,
I’m running tests on Windows 10 and I’m getting the same problem of stack overflow. The strange about this is that this error apears even when not using the OMCS library. The function normal-AIS simply reads a text file and returns the 3856 all interval series (3856 lists of twelve elements each) - image below.

About the OMCS library, if I change the solution mode to “once” it works. The problem seems to be the great number of solutions returned by pmc-engine - image below.

I hope this can be helpful to clarify the problem.
Best,
Paulo

Hi Paulo,

What I suspect, is that your tutorial patch is non editable, therefore it could stack overflow (memory wise). Please try to copy the content of the tutorial into a normal patch and try again. I made it work on my vm win10 with a cleaned up OMCS lib that i attached above.

Best
K

Dear Karim and fm42,
I’ve tested again the OMCS library and it worked!
I’ve also made some modifications to the OM-AIS code and now the function normal-AIS should work as well (already tested on Windows 10).
fm42, try download again and replace the OM-AIS 1.1 folder with this new one:

Please, tells me if it works for you.
Best,
Paulo

Dear Paulo,

I’ve tested again the OMCS library and it worked!

Just to know, is it related to the library posted above or something else, just trying to debug things…

If it is the case, then i have to update the release,

Thanx
Keep going on, your lib is extra good, thanx
Best
k

Dear Karim,
Sorry for my previous message, it was not ver clear.
I’ve deleted my previous OMCS library and installed the new one that you have posted above. All tutorials that uses this library are working now.
The problem is that I realized that the function normal-AIS was giving the same stack overflow error on Windows 10 and I’ve made a little modification in the code to split the original file (with 3856 series) in two with the same size (with append at the end). Now both are working, the OMCS library and normal-AIS function.
Thanks!
Paulo

Dear Paulo,

if I understand you well, the stack overflow was due to the “old” version of OMCS ???
If it is the case i should update the release.

If it is also related to

modification in the code to split the original file (with 3856 series) in two
So it is not necessary That necessary.

Please let my know. :wink: -)

Best
K

Dear Karim,
The problem is on the OM-AIS library alone, that is independent from OMCS (I’ve used it only to calculate the series).
The function normal-AIS reads a text file with all previous calculations and returns the 3856 series without using OMCS. I don’t know why, but only the function normal-AIS was giving the stack overflow error on Windows 10. All others was working fine. That’s why I’ve separated the original file in two (with 1928 series each).
Best,
Paulo

Obrigado Paulo :slight_smile:

Best
K

1 Like