< Back to IRCAM Forum

SPectral surface - mouse click for polygon?

Hi there. Thanks for very nice plugins. Is there a more step-by-step doc about using the mouse clicks with modifiers in the spectral surface plugin?

I’m on linux, and the prescribed method in spectral surface polygons, doesn’t work as expected:

• ctrl-click for a starting point = OK
  • ctrl-click to add more points = not OK, creates a new starting point every time

Any clues?

Seems i just needed to update… sorry for the noise

(I should probably go more searching in docs…), anyway -

how do i delete a spectral surface? Tried - after selecting - Ctrl-x, Del, Backspace, with various combos of modifiers - to no avail. Anyone able to help me?

Thanks!

Hmm, after restarting reaper, the polygon tool does not work anymore, ie back to the previous behavior, where any new click just starts a fresh line :frowning:

Not sure how to be able to help with some working example here, perhaps one of the devs could suggest something to check with?

Hello,

Could you also tell me the exact versions of Reaper, ASAP and your operating system?
Have you activated the “Send all keyboard input to plug-in” option?

Reaper v 7.14 - april 4

Operating system: Linux - Fedora 38 - (Wayland display server, Gnome desktop)

Yes, “Send all keyboard…” is ticked (after your suggestion, wo. changing behavior)

Perhaps a bit more info:

• Ctrl-x or Delete stops working, around the same time as the Polygon-Ctrl-click also stops
  • but Ctrl-z keeps working

Thanks for the clarification, if I summarize the problem that occurs when creating a polygon surface (there is no problem with the other tools): the surface cannot be created because it always resets at the first point, then it prevents the use of certain keyboard shortcuts such as delete (and copy/paste/duplicate/move, I suppose). Is that it?

Mostly - Ctrl-X, Del stops working in the other tools as well when the Polygon starts mis-behaving - while Ctrl-Z continues to work.

Very unpredictable or non-reproducible, it works perhaps the first few clicks, perhaps not, then stops working.

Thanks for looking into this. ASAP seems to be a nice tool!

“Move” continues to work, i think also copy/paste

I did a test on Ubuntu 22.04 with x11 and Wayland. Everything works fine with x11 but it seems that Wayland is poorly supported. Reaper doesn’t support Wayland natively, it goes through XWayland. Can you switch to x11 and tell me if it works properly?

Hi, sorry for late followup, been busy recording footsteps…

Can you switch to x11 and tell me if it works properly?

Unfortunately it’s the same behavior there:

• polygon drawing works - perhaps - initially, but stops working (impossible to draw) after some further actions - more shapes w. other tools, closing/re-opening plugin -

I’m not able to decipher any consistent behavior

I’ve done tests on other Linux systems (Ubuntu and Fedora) and I can’t reproduce the problem (except when I reboot the system on Wayland). Can you provide more information on the configuration of the machine? And what version of ASAP are you using? Are you sure you rebooted with x11 and not Wayland? Once Reaper has been launched, what does the “xlsclients” command return?

I appreciate very much you looking into this, i only hope i’ll be able to help debugging.

Here’s some output (sigla is hostname):

[andersvi@sigla ~]$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11

[andersvi@sigla ~]$ xlsclients
sigla gsd-keyboard
sigla gsd-color
sigla gsd-power
sigla gsd-media-keys
sigla gsd-wacom
sigla gsd-xsettings
sigla ibus-extension-gtk3
sigla ibus-x11
sigla evolution-alarm-notify
sigla xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
sigla gnome-terminal-server
sigla main.py
sigla reaper
sigla emacs
sigla firefox
sigla mutter-x11-frames
sigla gnome-software
sigla xdg-desktop-portal-gnome
sigla gnome-calendar

Not sure what might be useful…

Can you provide more information on the configuration of the machine?

Not sure what would be relevant, if there are particulars which might prove helpful, like e.g glibc-version etc, please ask me. Here’s some basic facts:

[andersvi@sigla ~]$ uname -a
Linux sigla 6.7.10-200.fc39.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Mar 18 18:56:52 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux

What about window shortcuts etc.? Perhaps unlikely since it works some of the time before stopping to work?

Forgot ASAP-version…
“About” says:

ASAP Spectral Surface - v1.2.2 (19131)

There could be several causes, but since I can’t reproduce the problem, it’s difficult to understand what it is (with Wayland, the global application is laggy and glitchy, so it’s hard to figure out if the problem is related). But I will look for a machine as close as possible to your configuration to try to reproduce it. If you can find a set of actions that consistently leads to an issue, I can try to find out what’s going on. In the meantime, I’ll continue to dig into it.

About the ASAP version, I doubt that it will fix the problem but you can update to v1.2.3.

Using v1.2.3 now, but same behavior, as you suggested.

It seems to be somewhat dependent on workflow, and involves:

• entering shapes
  • deleting shapes with Ctrl-x
  • if the FX is freshly inserted in the FX-chain, or a previously entered FX is re-opened
  • if a polygon is entered before or after a rectangle, more likely it works if its used before the rectangle-tool is used

Seems there’s a consistent ‘flip’ in behavior between polygon and Ctrl-x working
or not:

• If polygon works: Ctrl-x is not OK
  • when polygon does not work: Ctrl-x is OK

I’ve tried finding consistent patterns in the workflow, without luck:

• sequence of operations:
    • fresh ASAP (better chance of working?), or re-opened
    • polygon-tool is used before or after first rectangle is entered
    • no rectangle-tool is used at all

Worth to point out: when polygon tool works, i can (mostly, not always…) enter several polygons in sequence, if not interrupted by square tool, or closing and re-opening instance

Sorry to not be much of help. If you have suggestions for sequences of operations, please tell me

Thank you for your feedback. It helps a lot! I’ll work on it. I may send you a version that generates logs to facilitate investigations. I’ll keep you informed.

I’ve compiled a new version 1.3.0-dev3 that generates log files (there are a few new features, but they shouldn’t change interactions). Can you try it and send me the log file when you encounter the bug?

The files should be located in ~/.config/Ircam/ASAP_Spectral_Surface/.
If not in this directory, replace ~/.config with the path specified following the XDG_CONFIG_HOME value in the ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file.

Thank you!

An output log is attached. And just in case - a screencast of the actions used while making the log.

Steps used here:

1. insert new ASAP in FX-chain, and open it
  2. select polygon-tool, draw a shape works fine
  3. close and re-open ASAP
  4. polygon-tool fails

Log_2024-04-12.tar (20 KB)