< Back to IRCAM Forum

Spat 5.0.7 & Panoramix 1.3.2

Hi,

Indeed, an issue with WFS bus in Panoramix has been reported (and already fixed for the next release).
Again, I apologize.

I’m not 100% sure if your issue is the same. Could you please send me the preset file + WFS file(s) ?

T.

Thank you T. spat5.air~ & spat5.doppler~ are working fine now.

Another question about spat5.osc.replace this time. Have you made any modifications to the way you create rules? because messages like “rule /source/1 /source/1” or “rule /source/3 /source/3” etc… are not working anymore.

Philippe.

Here are the preset and wfs files. Thanks a lot for your work.

panoramix-outwfs.txt (17.6 KB)

@puchifilou : yes, tautological rules are filtered out (dont know exactly when I changed that). Why would you want to do that ? Does this break anything in your patches ??

@lenoizemaker : thanks for the file; I will inspect them. Could you also send the sdif files ? (seems like only the .txt file has been attached)

I am using replace as a dynamic source router/filter. I am generating rules from a matrix to let the selected sources pass through. It is a quite handy way to optimize the processing of sources messages when you have quite a lot of sources and of course you can route them the way you want.
So in my opinion, it may be a good idea to keep the tautological rules.

By the way, I was doing the same with spat.rename which had another cool feature that sadly disappeared in Spat5: the possibility to rename one source to several others. It was a quick way to control several sources from one source. Something like this for instance:

rule /source/1 /source/2
rule /source/1 /source/3
rule /source/1 /source/4

OK, I see. I didn’t think about such “router” use case. I might add an option to enable tautological rules.

spat5.osc.replace is actually more powerful than the old spat.rename: you could do something like:
rule /source/1 /source/[2-4]
or :
rule /source/1 /source/{3,5}

Hello T, sorry for the delay. Here is the sdif.
I have another question, in the wfs config, is it possible to have less disatnce than 4 meters ? Like just 1 ?
Thanks a lot T.

Some problems with the attachement. I try again.

I cannot send you the sdif file by this way. Try this : https://we.tl/t-I2HtJcp7D8

Thank you, that’s helpful (and sorry for the issues with uploading files).
I confirm that the bug should now be fixed. A new release will come shortly.

T.

Thanks a lot to you. My last question (request maybe) is about the distance of the configuration of the loudspeaker array. Is it possible to configure it at 1 or 2 meters minimum ?

I will look at it… But I’m not so sure if that really makes sense…

T.

I hope i could convince you. Nothing sure indeed.
Thanks a lot again for your help.
Raph

Hi :slight_smile:

It’s very good news that spat5 now works in @mc mode as well. I downloaded and installed the new version, but it doesn’t wanna work, I get the “invalid attribute mc” error message every time, even when I open the spat5.tuto-mc.maxpat. I am on Windows 10, maybe this feature is Mac-only at the moment? Did I miss something at the installation? I just copied the dll files into the windows/system32 and systemWow64 folders. Reboot didn’t help. Everything else seems to work well as in the earlier version. Any suggestions?

Best,
Balint

Hi Balint,

Good catch.
This is fixed for the next release, coming soon.
(the Max8 version was improperly detected on Windows)

Best,
T.

Great, really looking forward!! :slight_smile:
Best,
balint

Hi all :))

So recently I have been trying to understand how the orientation of sources is managed in Spat. If I make the aperture visible on a source, I can see that it always automatically turns in the direction of the origin point in the viewer. Giving it a yaw value only offsets this automatic behavior, since as I move the source, the aperture (yaw?) keeps rotating (with the added offset value) which is a little bit odd for me, but hopefully I am missing something fundamental here.
So my question is: how to make a source let’s say go from xy -1 -1 to xy -1 1 while its (absolute) yaw faces constantly towards the point xy -1 “infinity”. Let’s say for modelling as a car goes by next to the listener. Any ideas?
There was sort of a hack solution for this in Spat 4 with the “lookat” message, but that also only worked if the point to look at was reset after any movement (since if not reset, then it starts to rotate its yaw according to its relation to the origin point) and also it is not migrated to Spat 5.
Yaw/mode constraint or translate seems not to work in Spat 5 (although the help patch suggests it should) and after testing it in Spat 4 (as “orientation mode”) I could see that it actually doesn’t do what I want now.
Let me know if you have any suggestions! :slight_smile:
Thank you,
Balint

Hey again!
So I am still not sure if what I am looking for exists as an option somewhere or not in Spat, but just to illustrate what I want, I made an abstraction which does this - sending it attached, hope it can be useful for you too. And also hope that my math is correct, it looks good now, but trigonometry was never my forte and there were some edge-cases which I solved kinda not really knowing what am I doing… :slight_smile: So feel free to suggest/criticize.

Cheers!
Balint

yawfix.zip (5.87 KB)

Hi Balint,

Sorry for the late reply.
There is currently only one orientation mode implemented in spat5 (yaw angle expressed with respect to the origin point).
Apologies if the help patch suggests otherwise; that’s a mistake.
I’ll try to implement alternative modes soon, similar to your abstraction which seems correct at first glance.

Best,
T.

Hi T,

Good news, and thanks for checking it out! :slight_smile:

Best,
Balint