< Back to IRCAM Forum

Somax2.5 Server Trouble

Hello Somax Community!
I am having trouble launching the Somax server in Somax2.5. I think I have everything set up correctly, and just recently downloaded the repository from GitHub so I don’t think the “minor bug fixes” described in a recent post are the problem.

When attempting to launch the server I receive the following errors in the Terminal window:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File ".../Documents/Max 8/Packages/Somax2-master/max/somax/misc/../../../python/somax/somax_server.py", line 25, in <module>
    from somax.runtime.agent import OscAgent, Agent
  File ".../Documents/Max 8/Packages/Somax2-master/python/somax/somax/runtime/agent.py", line 34, in <module>
    from somax.runtime.player import Player
  File ".../Documents/Max 8/Packages/Somax2-master/python/somax/somax/runtime/player.py", line 29, in <module>
    class Player(Parametric, ContentAware):
  File ".../Documents/Max 8/Packages/Somax2-master/python/somax/somax/runtime/player.py", line 131, in Player
    _tempo: float) -> Optional[tuple[CorpusEvent, AbstractTransform]]:
TypeError: 'type' object is not subscriptable

[Process completed]

I have taken a look at the referenced python files, but I don’t feel comfortable enough in python or with the Somax code to mess with it too much. Any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks for your help!

Hi abbernie!

If I’ve understood you correctly, you’ve downloaded the repository directly and therefore are running the server through your own python installation, rather than through the pre-built binary available in releases, correct?

If that’s the case, it seems like you’re using a python version older than 3.8, while Somax requires python 3.9 to run. Could you verify this with python3 --version, and if necessary, upgrade to 3.9?

… and remember you can save you troubles by just installing the .dmg standalone version of somax, which does not depend on your current system python installation. Get it on the Somax2 page :

VERSIONS
Download Somax2 2.5 dmg - macOS [Access button]

thank you @borg and @assayag !

I updated my python installation, and after installing a few other dependencies, was able to get things running.

Good to know re: the standalone Somax .dmg. I will share that with my collaborators.