< Back to IRCAM Forum

Somax Midi Questions

Hello,
I just started experimenting with Somax and so far I am really enjoying it. I have two questions that I can’t seem to find answers for in the documentation:

1. Is it possible to use microtones via midi pitch bend? I.e., if the original midi corpus file contains midi pitch bend data, is that preserved? What about other types of continuous controller information?
  2. How does one go about building a corpus from multiple midi files (like the “10 Jazz Standards” in the demo)? Is it best to just combine multiple midi files into a single file? If so, wouldn’t you then have a situation in which the Markov chain thinks that the notes at end of the preceding file are semantically connected to the beginning notes of the following file?

Thanks, and thank you for providing this excellent software!

Hi Matyas,

Glad you’re enjoying Somax! For your questions:

1. Unfortunately not. At the moment, all cc data is discarded. We’ve been talking about implementing both of these (support for microtonality and storing cc data in the corpus) in the team for a long time, but we haven’t found the time to implement it yet. Hopefully, we’ll do it soon, but I can unfortunately not give you a concrete time plan for it!

2. You should be able to drop a folder in the MIDI corpus builder (I just noticed that it’s not possible through the dialog, only by dragging and dropping). In this case, it will build the corpus by concatenating all of the MIDI files inside the folder into a single corpus, so there’s no need to do the concatenation manually. But as you say, even in this case, the last note of each file will be connected to the first note of the following file