< Back to IRCAM Forum

SOMAX 2 Server unreadable?

Hi! I am very new to SOMAX and wanted to try out its features. I downloaded and installed the package as written in the README (I tried both easy and manual ways), but when I tried to start the server I found all the messages in the terminal unreadable, and I can’t really get it working.

Machine: Macbook Pro 2021 with M1 Max, OS 12.1 (Monterey)
Max version: 8.6.4

Here is a screen shot:

Does anyone also encounter this and know how to fix this??

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

First of all, are you sure that the app here really is Terminal.app (or Iterm)? To me, this looks like a TextEdit.app window, which means that you’re opening the server as text rather than launching it as an application.

In most cases, this happens because your default application for opening executables is incorrectly set. Could you try the following (see screenshots below for detailed instructions):

• Locate the somax_server application in Somax-2.6.1/misc/, right/ctrl-click and choose “Show Package Content”
  • Inside the package, find the somax_server executable in Contents/MacOS/, right/ctrl-click and choose “Get Info”
  • In the info window, make sure that (1) the application Kind is “Unix Executable File” (if it’s not, you have another issue, let me know in that case) and (2) change “Open with” so that it’s set to Terminal.app.

Once this is changed, it should be possible to launch the server normally from inside Max.

Hi Borg,

Thank you very much for your in depth response, that was exactly the problem and it’s now working!! Can’t believe I overlooked that…

Thank you so so much!!!

Chi Him