< Back to IRCAM Forum

SOL and Spectral Profiles of Instruments

Hi,

Either from a Tristan Murail lecture or interview — I can’t remember exactly which, — I read about David Wessel’s Fourier analyses of (the sounding notes of) several instruments while he was at IRCAM. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find traces of a database of these analyses anywhere.

This said, I then remembered that Orchids included a SOL database explorer of its audio descriptors, but I can’t remember if these included spectral/frequency profiles… Is there such a database of instruments’ spectral/frequency profiles of SOL or TinySOL available somewhere, somehow? Or even, are there any other such databases currently available?

Here’s an example of what I’m referring to as “spectral/frequency profile”:

The example above was taken from a 2012 article, here: Music in Our Ears…

Any hints or insights on this issue would be most welcome.

All the best,
António

Hi,

we are going to release SOL under our new licence so you will be free then to compute any descriptors you want. Of course you can use those pre-computed for Orchids, but one can also use other Ircamdescriptors for instance to describe temporal features. Finally, think about Audiosculpt to produce nice visualisation of the spectral enveloppe…

Coming soon

2 Likes

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your input. My question was specifically about the “spectral/frequency profiles” (the harmonic peaks of FTs in the frequency domain, as it can be seen in the top right corner of the picture I shared above) of SOL and TinySOL. I know these were needed in order to compute several “spectral shape” descriptors available with Orchids, but I can’t remember if the harmonic peaks themselves were available.

I can always batch-process whole sample libraries and extract the information and save it in SDIF format, either through AudioSculpt or OpenMusic, but I really wish I didn’t have to go that route.

All the best,
António

Hi Greg,

I was so full-on with the question I raised, that the good news you were giving didn’t actually blip on my radar. Those are great news about SOL, Greg, thank you — I actually remember a few years back, right after Orchids’ first launch, having asked Philippe Esling about this exact thing.

Happy new year, everyone.

All the best,
António