< Back to IRCAM Forum

Searching for code versions of fluidsynth~

Hello,

There has been some new 64-bit compilations of fluidsynth~ for Max. One was based on the code found here:
https://forge.ircam.fr/p/fluidsynth4max/source/tree/master/

I have been using the ‘tuning-keys’ command, which means you can assign a midicent tuning to each key of the keyboard. You could map harmonic series to the keyboard, or create continous interpolations between two full register tunings.

This was working with the fluidsynth~ Max externals before 64-bit was required. But with the new 64-bit externals, the ‘tuning-keys’ command is no longer working. Now we can only use, ‘tuning-octave’, which is useful for traditional temperaments, but not for harmonic series.

I have looked into the source code in the file “fluidmax.c”, and found this commented out passage:
/* more tuning ??
fluid_synth_create_key_tuning (fluid_synth_t *synth, int tuning_bank, int tuning_prog, char *name, double *pitch)
fluid_synth_tune_notes (fluid_synth_t *synth, int tuning_bank, int tuning_prog, int len, int *keys, double *pitch, int apply)
fluid_synth_tuning_iteration_start (fluid_synth_t *synth)
fluid_synth_tuning_iteration_next (fluid_synth_t *synth, int *bank, int *prog)
fluid_synth_tuning_dump (fluid_synth_t *synth, int bank, int prog, char *name, int len, double *pitch)
*/

At fluidsynth.org, they told that ‘tuning-keys’ have never been implemented by them, and it seems likely it was done by Ircam. But the source code must have been an older version, before ‘tuning-keys’ was implemented and working in fluidsynth externals from Ircam (and maintained by others).

I would be interested in finding the newest fluidsynth source code where ‘tuning-keys’ is working, and suggest building new fluidsynth externals from that. I do not have the knowledge about making Max externals myself, that would be a learning curve.

I hope somebody know about different versions of this code, if it is made public.

Best
Ruben Gjertsen

1 Like

Hi,

I move this thread to the Max Sound Box library whose release includes the latest version of fluidsynth~.

Best