< Back to IRCAM Forum

Running OpenMusic on ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Hello,

I am currently trying to get OM working on ubuntu 14.04.
What I did so far:

• downloaded SDIF-3.11.4-1_i386.deb and OM_6.10.1-2.deb (also tried OM_6.9.1_beta_0.deb) from here https://forge.ircam.fr/p/OM/downloads/

• installed sdif with $ sudo dpkg -i SDIF-3.11.4-1_i386.deb

• got dependency problems when I tried to install OM via $ sudo dpkg -i OM_6.10.1-2.deb, so I did $ sudo apt-get -f install which installed the following dependencies:

gtk2-engines-murrine:i386
    libcanberra-gtk-module:i386
    libcanberra-gtk0:i386
    libcanberra0:i386
    libpango1.0-0:i386
    libpangox-1.0-0:i386
    libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386
    libportmidi0:i386
    libtdb1:i386
    libvorbisfile3:i386
    libxft2:i386

• after this $ sudo dpkg -i OM_6.10.1-2.deb worked fine, the output:

(Lese Datenbank ... 836488 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.) Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von OM_6.10.1-2.deb ... Entpacken von openmusic (6.10.1-2) über (6.10.1-2) ... openmusic (6.10.1-2) wird eingerichtet ... Trigger für gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) werden verarbeitet ... Trigger für desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) werden verarbeitet ... Trigger für bamfdaemon (0.5.1+14.04.20140409-0ubuntu1) werden verarbeitet ... Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index... Trigger für mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) werden verarbeitet ... Trigger für fontconfig (2.11.0-0ubuntu4.2) werden verarbeitet ...

(sry for the language - if you need any translation let me know!)

If I now try to start openmusic from the command line by simply typing $ openmusic I get the following output:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar" Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"

“Loading PortMIDI library: libportmidi.so”
"Initializing cl-jack…"Cannot connect to server socket err = Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Cannot connect to server request channel
Cannot connect to server socket err = Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Cannot lock down 82274202 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver … hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
JackTemporaryException : now quits…
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server
jack server is not running or cannot be started
jack_port_register called with a NULL client

which is followed by a pop up window showing “ERROR: CL-jack-audio-input-ports not allocated”.
If I press “OK” there, the output in the terminal is added by the following lines:

"ERROR: *CL-jack-audio-input-ports* not allocated

Call to OM-LISP::OM-ERROR-HANDLER
Call to INVOKE-DEBUGGER
Call to ERROR
Call to CERROR
Call to CL-JACK::CL-JACK-INIT-AUDIO
Interpreted call to CL-JACK::CL-JACK-INIT-EVERYTHING
Call to OM-API:OM-INIT-FUNCALL
Interpreted call to INIT-OM
Call to DELIVERY::MAYBE-RYB-TOP-LEVEL
Call to MP::PROCESS-SG-FUNCTION
"

And then nothing else happens. I only can quit with ctrl+c which again results in a popup window asking me if I want to quit OpenMusic.

I really need to get OpenMusic working on my laptop and would be pleased If I could do this under Ubuntu without the need to install Windows additionally only for OM…

Would be great if anyone could help me here!
Thanks in advance!

(Already saw this post: http://forumnet.ircam.fr/user-groups/openmusic/forum/topic/trying-om-6-9-on-ubuntu-14-04-64bits/ which seems to be a bit out of date and I could not find any help there… If I am wrong there please correct me!)

Hi Elli.

Acquire audio card Audio0 creating alsa driver … hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode JackTemporaryException : now quits…

Atm. OM uses Jack to connect an audio-playback client. The message above says something else is holding your audio card already, not allowing Jack to start.

Try starting Jack manually first (fex. by using qjacktl). Once this is OK, youl should be able to start OM as well.

-anders

Hi Anders,

thank you so much for your fast answer!! I had to change the interface used by jack manually via the preferences in qjacktl. The jack problem seems to occur frequently with ubuntu (see e.g. http://askubuntu.com/questions/224151/jack-server-could-not-be-started-when-using-qjackctl), although the hints on that page did not work for me…)
Now OM seems to work fine. The only drawback with my current settings is that while running OM I can only play sound from within OM and not any other sounds… . But at least it works so far.

Cheers,
Elli

Hi Elli,

Just to reassure you this abnormally normal. I am on Debian and still use the 6.9.x version.
This is due to the i386 compilation effect.
It is the only binary that hangs audio when you launch it.
Very strange indeed…

Best
K

The only drawback with my current settings is that while running OM I can only play sound from within OM and not any other sounds…
Any jack-enabled app should be ok, as should any pulseaudio client if you set up a the io: https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_PulseOnJack. There are similar ways to have alsa clients play using jackd automatically.

Sorry Anders,

My bad. Of course you can use these thru jack except Flash (non-proprietary) clients.

BEst
K

Hi Karim. Any pulse-based player should play well through jack-sink, regardless of licensing. Do you have a client or a web-page which is bad?

OM shouldn’t depend on jack, only use it if its already running. The reason for the current way is laziness from my side i guess (i always have jack running myself).

Thanx for the reply Anders,

I think like you that jack is great. However as you say, i have iceweasel running vids (mainly news) while i am Openmusicing (sorry a little out of toptic).
Apparently iceweasel’s plugin doesn’t support flash or something like that. All videos freeze when i launch OM even without running Jack.

Best
K