< Back to IRCAM Forum

Readappend message causes crash with uzi and many files

Hi, Mubu is crashing Max when I try to append a bunch (100+) of short sound files (each around ~3s) into one Mubu track. I'm using the latest version of Max 8, Mubu, and MacOs 10.14.4.

I'm loading the sound files into one Mubu track using an uzi. Each uzi bang sends a "readappend [track id] [audiofilename]" message to a mubu container, and the audiofilename increments through the folder of sound files. A screenshot of my patch is attached.

The mubu.track it's reading into is set up as: [mubu.track mynewmubu audio @predef 1 @samplerate audio @info gui "interface multiwave"].

My patch works fine if I'm loading a folder of 80 short audio files. However when I try to load a folder of more than that, such as a few hundred files, it freezes or immediately crashes Max.
![31%20PM|578x500](upload://c8jBztt7F7izuhbVhpmiZ2mqZ50.png) 
Is this a bug you can easily fix or should I resort to using a quick metro?

Thanks!

Sorry for the formatting, it gave me an error “Sorry, new users can only mention 2 users in a post.”

Hi, Mubu is crashing Max when I try to append a bunch (100+) of short sound files (each around ~3s) into one Mubu track. I’m using the latest version of Max 8, Mubu, and MacOs 10.14.4.

I’m loading the sound files into one Mubu track using an uzi. Each uzi bang sends a
"readappend [track id] [audiofilename]"
message to a mubu container, and the audiofilename increments through the folder of sound files. A screenshot of my patch is attached.

The mubu.track it’s reading into is set up as:
[ mubu.track mynewmubu audio @predef 1 @samplerate audio @info gui "interface multiwave"].

My patch works fine if I'm loading a folder of 80 short audio files. However when I try to load a folder of more than that, such as a few hundred files, it freezes or immediately crashes Max.

Is this a bug you can easily fix or should I resort to using a quick metro?

Thanks!

Hi ian,

I can’t get it to crash, even with 250 files, but it does take a long time to load. Do you get a crash log? Are you on MuBu for Max, version 1.9.8 01/04/2019?

A smarter way could be to

readfolder @name audio @recursive yes

into separate buffers, then copy/paste to merge all sounds into one.

Best…
…Diemo

Hi Diemo,

Thanks for the quick response, and apologies for my delay. I think I was too hasty to say it froze/crashed–seems to be working now for the most part. Still doesn’t work on my whole test database (about 13,000 ~3s audio files) though. I let it run for an hour and it seemed to have frozen.

I think I tried doing your suggestion earlier actually, and that was what gave me really bad crashing issues, making me too hasty to declare this version was also unreliable. See the patch linked here. press readfolder @name a to load the files each into a buffer, then click the bang at the bottom of the window to send the join message and crash immediately…

If it’s helpful, I am trying to load an orchestra sound bank which I can process according to various features (currently using bfcc~, specCentroid~, specFlatness~, specRolloff~, and barkSpec~ as per this paper, but will implement selection of modules) and then perform realtime classification of incoming audio using mubu.knn for resynthesis based on the corpus of orchestra sounds. I have all the rest working but perhaps there’s a better way to set up the mubu for this purpose? Here is my full patch

Best.
Ian