< Back to IRCAM Forum

Random merging of phrases in voice objects

How can I use several voices (with small individual phrases) and place them randomly in a new voice object? It is important that the tree (rhythm)/pitch combination does not change. Using concat only allows two voices and I cannot randomise the order. The patch below is the closest I got to the desired result, but it does not place them in a row, nor should there be pauses between phrases of different lengths. I think there may be a solution using patterns, but I cannot get to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
Can you send the patch. It would be easier to show you how,

Best
K

Sure, here is the latest version of the patch. The problem remains unchanged.

Thank you very much.

Patch Example.omp (28.7 KB)

Here you are:

The patch has been simplified.

HEre us the patch
patch example1.omp (50.1 KB)

Best
K

This is very close to the desired result, but I do not want the rests at the end of the phrase to be part of the voice. For the example of the quintuplets, I can simply change the time signature to 1/4, but then the time signature in the voice changes every time, and I cannot use phrases of more complex length.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Maybe I can extract the voice into a list with absolute values in ms and mc, but then the quantization might get tricky.

Or is the simplest approach to rebar the voice afterwards?

Sorry to bother you.

The simplest solution in this case is to remove first the rest at the end of the mesure, say like doing the following:
Screenshot_2024-02-07_14-04-52

Because the voices->voices and the concat-score-obj will take these objects as they are a and will not alter their contents. It is not Chat GPT :slight_smile:

Best
K