< Back to IRCAM Forum

Quarter-tones

Hello everyone,

Is there a way of achieving quarter-tone playback inside orchids? Could this be done by creating new samples by transposing the SOL database samples? Would the solutions and maquete tabs use quarter-tone notation?

Thanks!

Dear Gato,

Normally the quarter-tone playback is already implemented ? Do you mean that solution with quarter notes are not played accurately ? Currently the samples from SOL are transposed at playback time, and you should be able to simulate that even with notes not proposed as quarter-tones by sliding the notes directly inside the score !

All the best,
Philippe

Thanks for the reply, Philippe.

I seem to have a problem because I get no quarter-tone playback with Orchids 0.9.1 (latest version I have). Using SOL 0.9_HQ…

Is there something I need to do?

Sorry, my bad! I haven’t used Orchids for a while (but will do so heavily in the future)… so I forgot to check Microtonal resolution in the Orchestra tab.

No problem ! However, if you plan on using Orchids heavily in the future, I really recommend that you switch to version 0.9.2, the improvement in the accuracy of the solutions is really tremendous :slight_smile:

Is there a free update for Orchids 0.9.1 users?
The website tells me I have to pay again.
Thanks!
-Eren.